How do you deal with frequently repeating strings? E.g. company/product/personal names?
Thread poster: Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:19
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 19, 2020

How do you deal with frequently repeating strings when translating or writing something? E.g. company/product names, personal names, parts designation ... or any other repeating strings?
Copypasting, copypasting, copypasting?

This is how I tackle this issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qlsunOCpJA

Do you have any better options? Please share!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Enjoy Oct 19, 2020

I enjoyed watching the video.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:19
German to English
CAT tools take care of repetive tasks Oct 19, 2020

Not only can CAT tools can apply frequently repeated strings within a text, they can also insert repeated boilerplate in a series of related texts, such as legal information, disclaimers, etc. Likewise, I will never have to type "See Figure 1" again as long as I keep translating.

Christine Andersen
Tom in London
Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Clipboard managers Oct 19, 2020

Jan Kapoun wrote:
This is how I tackle this issue...

What you're describing is called a "clipboard manager". There are dozens such utilities out there. A well-known one was Mike Lin's Clip-o-matic, which no longer works in Windows 10.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Enter them into Multiterm or AutoText (in Trados Studio) Oct 19, 2020

This is what a CAT is really good for.

Forget all those long segments that you will never need again anyway. The CAT will store those, and I search for some of them in the concordance to see a term in context, but many sentences are never repeated.

However, strings like names, client slogans, "the Danish Administration of Justice Act" and all the other Acts, EU legislation, hazard phrases, E-numbers, you name it... can be entered in the database, and they will be inser
... See more
This is what a CAT is really good for.

Forget all those long segments that you will never need again anyway. The CAT will store those, and I search for some of them in the concordance to see a term in context, but many sentences are never repeated.

However, strings like names, client slogans, "the Danish Administration of Justice Act" and all the other Acts, EU legislation, hazard phrases, E-numbers, you name it... can be entered in the database, and they will be inserted, correctly spaced and spelt, at the touch of two or three keys and 'Enter'.

If the string is specific to a particular job and not likely to come up later, I use a different feature, called AutoText, which inserts the string into the text when the first four letters are typed. I use it particularly when the first four letters occur frequently in other words, and I do not want the option to come up when not needed in all my other jobs. It is very quick and easy to remove terms from AutoText when I have finished with them.
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:19
English to Russian
Better options Oct 19, 2020

With SDL Trados Studio 2021, you can add any number of such strings into a dedicated list of placeables if you need them untranslated (for company/product names, personal names, etc.) or add them into another dedicated list called Autotext (Alt+F7) if you need them in target language. Or add them into another dedicated list called Termbase if you need target terms to be recognized against source.

[Edited at 2020-10-19 13:28 GMT]

Julio Cinquina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you deal with frequently repeating strings? E.g. company/product/personal names?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »