Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:38
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Honest opinions and AnyCount Jul 20, 2017

Nicolas Bianchi wrote:

I feel bad being boldly honest...

I think honest opinions are the most valuable for everyone - developers and users alike.
I tried to write an impartial review and report the good and bad points about both programs, but at the end of the day, I had to say which one I've chosen, and why. It took me ages to write that part because I'm not so good at being boldly honest

Re. the word count feature. Why don't you get AnyCount and use it as a standalone tool? It’s the first place I go when I receive a new job, and the last thing I run after finishing a translation, especially on a group of files. And it's so much more accessible from File Explorer than digging up a job in TO3000. Just select one or more files and right click "Add to AnyCount and count".

Nicolas Bianchi
Nicolas Bianchi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
AnyCount and hidden text Jul 29, 2017

Why don't you get AnyCount and use it as a standalone tool?

Actually I tried AnyCount, FineCount and PractiCount. The last one doesn’t seem to be developed anymore.

As for AnyCount and FineCount, they give totally different character and space count results as TO3000 (which is extremely weird for Anycount, as they use the same engine).

Simple MS Word Document with hidden text

MS Word Stats: 7113 characters (7666 including hidden text)
TO3000: 7131 characters
AnyCount 3D: 7660 characters (same settings - apparently it counts the hidden text, even if advised not to...)
FineCount: 8077 (!) characters (my banker would be happy with this, not my clients)

But as I already mentioned, I invoice per line. And in order to have unified invoices among all their external translators, clients request a specific number of characters per line.
Some clients count 50, characters as a line, other 55 or 60. For each and every job or document, I would have to take the calculator before entering the value to be invoiced in BaccS.

One workaround would be to have for each job a generic field "characters", which BaccS would automatically convert into the client specific amount of lines (or pages), which would be set in the client’s invoicing options.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Bug with hidden text count in 3D Jul 29, 2017

Nicolas Bianchi wrote:

totally different character and space count results as TO3000 (which is extremely weird for Anycount, as they use the same engine).

Oh, that's interesting. TO3000 version 11 uses the AnyCount 8.0 engine, and in both programs the word count correctly ignores hidden text if left unchecked.
But you're right, hidden text is counted even if unchecked in AnyCount 3D and in TO3000 3D. It must be a bug. I'll report it to AIT if you haven't already.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TO3000 3D beta vs other applications Jul 29, 2017

well, after having tested both Baccs and TO3000 3D (and bought the latter, unluckily) I can say I dislike both!

I hate the clumsy interface that seems to be so trendy nowadays, so I'll simply remain stuck on TO3000 11

I admit I had a deep loathing for the new MS Office tabby GUI as well, and a lot of time was needed before I was able to love it, appreciating the usability and convenience

but the tabby interface of Baccs and TO3000 3D is very different from
... See more
well, after having tested both Baccs and TO3000 3D (and bought the latter, unluckily) I can say I dislike both!

I hate the clumsy interface that seems to be so trendy nowadays, so I'll simply remain stuck on TO3000 11

I admit I had a deep loathing for the new MS Office tabby GUI as well, and a lot of time was needed before I was able to love it, appreciating the usability and convenience

but the tabby interface of Baccs and TO3000 3D is very different from Microsoft!

the main reason is that in MS Office you have a fixed amount of tabs in a window, and if you click on one tab the others (with linked menus/options etc) disappear, while here you can open 1 zillion of tabs without even noticing it, and then you have to close all them, or part of them, one by one: a real mess to me

not to mention that GUI fonts are very small and cannot be enlarged so much
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
MS ribbon comparison and font size Jul 30, 2017

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

the tabby interface of Baccs and TO3000 3D is very different from Microsoft!

Well, yes, but that's because they are the front end of a database, while MS Word/Excel/Pppt have an entirely different purpose.

you can open 1 zillion of tabs without even noticing it, and then you have to close all them, or part of them, one by one: a real mess to me

No, you don't have to close them one by one: in TO3000 3D and BaccS you can close "all tabs but this one"
However, I agree that the TO3000 11 layout with a main menu down the left is very user friendly.

not to mention that GUI fonts are very small and cannot be enlarged so much

In TO3000 11, font size is 10 maximum; in TO3000 3D it's 11 maximum; in BaccS it's 22 maximum.
So I absolutely agree with your font size complaint regarding TO3000, but it doesn't apply to BaccS.

so I'll simply remain stuck on TO3000 11

I nearly did too, because it worked fine for me; I could do whatever I needed fast, without having to work out how to do it, and it was reliable (most important point of all). However, I don't like using legacy programs (no active development and later on, no support), so that's why I tested TO3000 3D and BaccS, and later decided to stick with BaccS.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
in BaccS it's 22 maximum Jul 30, 2017

OK, but doing so I am quite sure the 1 zillion of tabs you have just opened will have the text-of-the-tab always incomplete, as the total space of the window is fixed ...

moreover you said: "in TO3000 3D and BaccS you can close "all tabs but this one"

sure, but if you want close "half zillion of tabs", you'll spent half zillion of hours to do that

it's really that kind of tabby GUI that is not fine to me
but it's clearly a must-have for many others... See more
OK, but doing so I am quite sure the 1 zillion of tabs you have just opened will have the text-of-the-tab always incomplete, as the total space of the window is fixed ...

moreover you said: "in TO3000 3D and BaccS you can close "all tabs but this one"

sure, but if you want close "half zillion of tabs", you'll spent half zillion of hours to do that

it's really that kind of tabby GUI that is not fine to me
but it's clearly a must-have for many others

I'm afraid I'll become extinct as dinosaurs, together with the old-style GUI

[Edited at 2017-07-30 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Have to disagree Jul 31, 2017

1 zillion of tabs you have just opened will have the text-of-the-tab always incomplete, as the total space of the window is fixed ...

Not true. BaccS is one of the best programs I've seen for text adaptation. In font size 22, nothing is cut off. I opened 15 tabs to test. After the first ten, the others can be moved into view with arrow buttons (same system with Excel sheets).

font_size_22

By the way, TO3000 3D is indeed poorly implemented with tab text. Even using font size 11, the tab label gets cut off and you can be left with several tabs looking identical because the essential information at the end has been cut off (e.g., client xxx, client jobs,)

Again, I have to disagree: it's absolutely instantaneous. Opening individual tabs can be slow, but closing all tabs at once is immediate.

that kind of tabby GUI that is not fine to me

Oh yes, I quite see your point. GUI is definitely a question of personal preference.

Nicolas Bianchi
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
RE: x2 Aug 1, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I'll report it to AIT if you haven't already.

Done!

Lucky you! I still haven’t found any advantage in the ribbons and tabs! Never thought I would have to google my way to basic layout functions, but this happens very often unfortunately.

[Edited at 2017-08-01 02:44 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Italy
English to Italian
TO3000 3D Oct 17, 2017

forget it!
I found that some essential options are disappeared or so hidden I cannot find them
I'll be stuck on the version 11
sorry

[Edited at 2017-10-18 01:49 GMT]

Nicolas Bianchi
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
T3000 v.11: Word Count fails... Nov 1, 2017

I just set up all I needed on my new computer... Everything works fine except TO3000.
My beloved Word Count doesn’t work anymore.
Result is every time "0", and it somehow opens 5 "winword.exe" processes in the Task Manager...

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Twice: no luck.
Ran as Admin: no luck either.

Weirdly, versions and settings (Office and TO) are exactly the same on both my previous and new computer.

I’m looking forward for BaccS
... See more
I just set up all I needed on my new computer... Everything works fine except TO3000.
Result is every time "0", and it somehow opens 5 "winword.exe" processes in the Task Manager...

Weirdly, versions and settings (Office and TO) are exactly the same on both my previous and new computer.

I’m looking forward for BaccS to get a similar function.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what do you mean exactly by "Word Count"? Nov 1, 2017

Nicolas Bianchi wrote:

I’m looking forward for BaccS to get a similar function.

Do you mean "CATCount" or "AnyCount" (both AIT programs)?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AnyCount 3D? Any reason to upgrade? Nov 1, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Nicolas Bianchi wrote:

totally different character and space count results as TO3000 (which is extremely weird for Anycount, as they use the same engine).

Oh, that's interesting. TO3000 version 11 uses the AnyCount 8.0 engine, and in both programs the word count correctly ignores hidden text if left unchecked.
But you're right, hidden text is counted even if unchecked in AnyCount 3D and in TO3000 3D. It must be a bug. I'll report it to AIT if you haven't already.

Hi Emma,

I was wondering how you were getting on with AnyCount 3D? Any reason to upgrade?

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just found another one to add to your list of word counting programs... Nov 1, 2017

Nicolas Bianchi wrote:

Why don't you get AnyCount and use it as a standalone tool?

Actually I tried AnyCount, FineCount and PractiCount. The last one doesn’t seem to be developed anymore.

As for AnyCount and FineCount, they give totally different character and space count results as TO3000 (which is extremely weird for Anycount, as they use the same engine).

Simple MS Word Document with hidden text

MS Word Stats: 7113 characters (7666 including hidden text)
TO3000: 7131 characters
AnyCount 3D: 7660 characters (same settings - apparently it counts the hidden text, even if advised not to...)
FineCount: 8077 (!) characters (my banker would be happy with this, not my clients)

But as I already mentioned, I invoice per line. And in order to have unified invoices among all their external translators, clients request a specific number of characters per line.
Some clients count 50, characters as a line, other 55 or 60. For each and every job or document, I would have to take the calculator before entering the value to be invoiced in BaccS.

One workaround would be to have for each job a generic field "characters", which BaccS would automatically convert into the client specific amount of lines (or pages), which would be set in the client’s invoicing options.

https://www.hermetic.ch/wfc/wfc.htm (looks like it might be interesting)

hmm, did a quick test, and got this (on the same file):

MS Word: 4249 words
AnyCount: 4276 words
Hermetic: 3374 words

hmm

[Edited at 2017-11-01 11:47 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
AnyCount 3D news Nov 2, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I was wondering how you were getting on with AnyCount 3D? Any reason to upgrade?

No. It's slower to open than the previous AnyCount version. Despite the column for hidden text, AnyCount 3D still counts it as normal text. Nicolas said he reported this bug back in August, but it's still there.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, as I expected Nov 2, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

No. It's slower to open than the previous AnyCount version. Despite the column for hidden text, AnyCount 3D still counts it as normal text. Nicolas said he reported this bug back in August, but it's still there.

Think I'll stick with the old version until I find something better.

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TO3000 3D beta vs other applications

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »