Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 2, 2017

I sometimes receive pdfs of patents, which need to be scanned. In earlier version of Finereader the software loaded the pdf and waited for me to select which part of the page and which pages I wanted to scan, and saved the result to Word.
But with version 12 the software either automatically scans the whole doc or even when I manage to select the area of each page of interest and scanning each page separately, it will not save only the scanned result but insists on scanning also the pages
... See more
I sometimes receive pdfs of patents, which need to be scanned. In earlier version of Finereader the software loaded the pdf and waited for me to select which part of the page and which pages I wanted to scan, and saved the result to Word.
But with version 12 the software either automatically scans the whole doc or even when I manage to select the area of each page of interest and scanning each page separately, it will not save only the scanned result but insists on scanning also the pages I did not select. Very frustrating. A box appears where I have to choose to scan the rest of the document or not save anything!
Perhaps someone knows how I can circumvent this feature next time?

[Bearbeitet am 2017-03-03 06:26 GMT]
Collapse

Mary Lou Gonzalez
Mary Lou Gonzalez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:13
English to Spanish
Did you check the predetermined variables under the tool tab? Mar 2, 2017

Something similar happened to me when I upgraded to the latest version. Under the tools tab, there is an option to specify if a page gets processed automatically or not, and what should be processed. I have the Spanish version, so I can't be sure what the exact name is in the English version, maybe something like "Digitize/Open."

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 13:13
English to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 2, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

But with version 13 the software either automatically scans the whole doc or even when I manage to select the area of each page of interest and scanning each page separately, it will not save only the scanned result but insists on scanning also the pages I did not select. Very frustrating. A box appears where I have to choose to scan the rest of the document or not save anything!
Perhaps someone knows how I can circumvent this feature next time?

there is no 13 version of Finereader - only 12 and 14 (appeared few days ago).

Switch off automatic recognition at loading - Service - Options - Scan/Opening tab (and look throught other tabs - Reco/check/Saving to prevent future questions)

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I meant 12 Mar 3, 2017

I have of course many times looked through the Options, but cannot find a setting that would stop the behavior I mentioned. Unless perhaps I should deselect recognition of headers etc. Should try that.

Peter Nicholson (X)
Peter Nicholson (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:13
Polish to English
Where's my post? Mar 4, 2017

Who has deleted the post I wrote here yesterday?

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
From my email Mar 4, 2017

Peter Nicholson wrote:

Turn off automatic recognition

As mikhailo has said, you probably need to turn off
automatic recognition.

In Tools > Options > Scan/Open tab, under "General" select
"Automatically process pages as they are added" and
"Preprocess page images". Now your pdf will just load and
wait for you to select recognition areas.

The second thing to do is to delete pages which don't have
any areas you want to recognise. To do this, select the page
in the column on the left, right-click it and select "Delete
page from document". This deletes it from the document
loaded into FineReader, but doesn't delete it from the
original pdf. Alternatively, where you have a page with
nothing you want to recognise, draw a small recognition area
on a blank part of that page. The recognition area need only
be 1 mm in size. Draw recognition areas on your other pages
as usual, and when you select "Read" FineReader will
recognise all the recognition areas (and only these areas),
including the tiny little box you have put on the page that
doesn't interest you.

I think this will give you what you want.

Peter Nicholson (X)
Peter Nicholson (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
So who deleted it? Mar 4, 2017

Thanks for providing confirmation that I did actually post something. So where is it now?

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No matter what I do, it will not save only the selections Mar 4, 2017

When I try to save a box says, I have to scan the rest of the file or abandon the operation.

Peters method might work, but is too cumbersome for me. Probably I will revert to earlier version of Finereader.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Technical problems Mar 4, 2017

Peter Nicholson wrote:

Hi Peter,

Nobody has deleted your post. There were serious technical problems at the site yesterday; the site developers are doing their best to restore the databases (forum posts and KudoZ entries) but may require more time.

Natalia

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 13:13
English to Russian
+ ...
re Mar 5, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When I try to save a box says, I have to scan the rest of the file or abandon the operation.

Peters method might work, but is too cumbersome for me. Probably I will revert to earlier version of Finereader.

Old versions recognize not worse. As I see somewhere information, that google still use 8-th version of FR. I also think, FR8 is the best version yet.
But this version has no hyeroglyph, korean, hebrew and georgian support. Versions before 9 doesn't work directly with djv(u) format.

Another trick I recommend - switch package panel (left - with pages icons) to list view (with buttons at top of panel in 12 or with RMB menu in 8).
In 12 version may be useful to limit cores quantities, that FR may use.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finereader 12 too clever for me

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »