Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:53
Member (2017)
English to German
May 21, 2018

Hi all,

I decided to try the Transit Package Handler plugin for Studio. I just created a project with a Transit package that I got from an agency.
I created the project in Studio using the Transit plugin and when I open it there is no file in there to translate. Do I have to add the word file manually? The package definitely has a file in there. Also what happens to the translation memory and term database that is in the Transit project package. Does this automatically transfe
... See more
Hi all,

I decided to try the Transit Package Handler plugin for Studio. I just created a project with a Transit package that I got from an agency.
I created the project in Studio using the Transit plugin and when I open it there is no file in there to translate. Do I have to add the word file manually? The package definitely has a file in there. Also what happens to the translation memory and term database that is in the Transit project package. Does this automatically transfer to Studio?

If anybody is using the Transit plugin in Studio, please let me know how you do it.

Thank you.

Best regards
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Just follow the wizard May 21, 2018

I just followed the wizard. A Transit NXT package was opened and the embedded reference material was imported into a newly created TM. Once I had loaded the segments in the Studio grid, I got loads of matches from the TM.

You can sent me your package for a check.

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 10.09.30

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but no file to translate May 21, 2018

Hi Hans,

Thanks for that. I did it exactly like that but can’t see a file to translate.

Do you have the word file you do the translation in on screen when you open the project. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately, I can’t send you the package due to confidentiality issues.
I tried this with several packages that I received.

Thanks

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Hans: What Operating System are you using? May 23, 2018

Hi Hans

Can you please let me know what Windows version you are using.
I use Windows 10 and going by another thread on this topic this might be the cause of the issue.

Also, if it’s not too much trouble can you please send me a screenshot of the file view once you imported the package. As I said, there are no files in mine after importing the Transit package.

Thanks heaps.

Best regards

Annett

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Windows 8.1 May 23, 2018

Hello Annett,

Can you please let me know what Windows version you are using.

I'm using Windows 8.1 on my MacBook Pro (Parallels). I can test with Windows 10 which i have on my iMac (Fusion), if you want.

Also, if it’s not too much trouble can you please send me a screenshot of the file view once you imported the package. As I said, there are no files in mine after importing the Transit package.

The converted project is listed in Studio's project list, with the name of the original Transit package. Upon opening it, its content is displayed in Studio's grid, like with any other project, originally created with Studio. Okay, there's one difference: all untranslated segments are pre-populated with their source (because this is what Transit does with its projects (language pairs)).

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Hans. It would be marvellous... May 23, 2018

...if you can check in Windows 10.

Thanks for your response again.

Best,

Annett

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No luck on Windows 10 May 23, 2018

Hi Annett,

Indeed no luck on Windows 10. I remember that it worked alright, a couple of months ago, when I installed the plug-in.

Good luck with trying to find a solution that works for you! (I'll write you privately, to name 2 candidates for CAT tools that also can handle Transit files.)

Hans

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Reviving the thread Mar 6, 2019

Reviving this thread as I found your comments when trying to solve an issue.

A new client of mine uses Transit and has sent me a PPF package. I have now downloaded and installed the Transit Package Handler plugin (Studio 2017, Windows 8.1). Everything works fine until the moment when I open the project directory and see the files in the package. As the client needs a translation into Swedish, they have named all the files with .sve - and this ending now shows as file ending. Studio
... See more
Reviving this thread as I found your comments when trying to solve an issue.

A new client of mine uses Transit and has sent me a PPF package. I have now downloaded and installed the Transit Package Handler plugin (Studio 2017, Windows 8.1). Everything works fine until the moment when I open the project directory and see the files in the package. As the client needs a translation into Swedish, they have named all the files with .sve - and this ending now shows as file ending. Studio tells me it has no clue how to handle SVE files.

Is there any way to solve this on my end and change all this to xml? Or maybe the client needs to make some changes and set up a new package? Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2019-03-06 22:18 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:53
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Ask the PM to correct their naming procedure Mar 7, 2019

Erik Hansson wrote:
A new client of mine uses Transit and has sent me a PPF package. I have now downloaded and installed the Transit Package Handler plugin (Studio 2017, Windows 8.1). Everything works fine until the moment when I open the project directory and see the files in the package. As the client needs a translation into Swedish, they have named all the files with .sve - and this ending now shows as file ending. Studio tells me it has no clue how to handle SVE files.
Is there any way to solve this on my end and change all this to xml? Or maybe the client needs to make some changes and set up a new package? Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2019-03-06 22:18 GMT]

It seems the PM in question needs a little education. They should keep away from the file extension. Ask them instead to use _sve in front of the extensio.

For instance
car_sve.docx

If they use instead car.docx -> car.sve
Or has the PM perhaps used car.sve.docx? If so, this can also create problems.

My suggestion would be that instead of using a period the PM should use an underscore:
car.sve.docx => car_sve.docx
and avoid the use of period in -sve.

You could of course fix this yourself also, but the best would be to have the PM correct this so that it won't happen again.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Transit Package Handler Plugin for and no file in there to translate

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »