Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How to run Trados on Mac - MacBook users experiences welcome!
Thread poster: Gabriella Alberti
Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:47
French to German
+ ...
I end up working with Mac and .... sometimes Windows! Nov 20, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

... but I don't get it. As I understand it, you have a Mac-computer and you use SDL, for which you have to install Windows! So, you end up working with Windows on a Mac anyway. In this case my question: 'Why working on a Mac in the first place? What is the advantage?

First, I don't work only with Windows, I also use native Mac programs on my Mac. This gives me the choice to use the software I prefer, because I have both worlds (OsX and Windows) available at the same time. I don't even need to switch between them, everything is present all the time, just in separate windows.

Another big advantage is that Windows is running in a virtual machine, which allows me to take snapshots of the current state of this VM with just two clicks. This is very useful because it allows you to very easily go back to the previous state of your Windows whenever something goes wrong (e.g. Windows does not start anymore after having installed the latest MS updates or to test a new application, ....). I also need this feature for training because it allows me to revert the Windows VM that has been used for the training back to its "virgin" state with two clicks without having to find out which files and folders I need to manually delete.

In addition, my experience shows that OSX is more stable than Windows and it is much easier to handle/configure. If you want to move all your applications to a new computer, you don't need to reinstall all applications as you do in Windows (because of this complex "registry"), you can simply copy the stuff over. Many housekeeping operations are much simpler than they are in Windows (e.g. creating a bootable copy of your system partition).

And finally, I like the hardware.
These are some of the reasons that made me prefer a Mac as HW.

Walter

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Finalising Studio projects Nov 20, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Many CAT tools make sure they can work with sdlxliff files, but you still need Studio to check that everything is OK before you send it back to these customers, otherwise you may get into trouble.

Roy

• Keep a VM with Studio in suspended mode.
  • Open the VM.
  • Load the translated package.
  • Press F8.
  • Create a return package.
  • Suspend the VM.

Doesn't cost me more than 2 minutes.

[Edited at 2015-11-20 09:48 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
sorry, you have lost me Nov 20, 2015

2nl wrote:

Roy Oestensen wrote:
Many CAT tools make sure they can work with sdlxliff files, but you still need Studio to check that everything is OK before you send it back to these customers, otherwise you may get into trouble.

• Keep a VM with Studio in suspended mode.
  • Create a return package.
  • Suspend the VM.
    Doesn't cost me more than 2 minutes.

• How you do it, was really not the question, but if you could work with a pure Mac CAT tool. Your suggestion means you need a copy of Studio installed, which you cannot do on a Mac without Windows, as far as I know.

Tom in London
    Tom in London
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 01:47
    Member (2008)
    Italian to English
    Whaaaat? Nov 20, 2015

..... go back to the previous state of your Windows whenever something goes wrong (e.g. Windows does not start anymore after having installed the latest MS updates....
    [/quote]

Whaaat ? Does that happen with Windows? Things "go wrong" ? Thanks for reminding me why I use the MacOS !!!

[Edited at 2015-11-20 13:00 GMT]

RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    But is this true? Nov 20, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

One advantage I can see, is that you are not as prone to be infected with computer viruses on mac as you are on Windows.

I'm not a MAC fan, mainly because everything is a workaround, and I never really saw the value in it over a PC, especially for the money they ask. But the virus thing is interesting and I wonder if it's really true:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/04/mac-viruses-strike-secure-thunderstrike-2

There's also this one that clearly doesn't think it's true:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

Maybe in the old days it wasn't an interesting target, but nonetheless just as vulnerable technically.

Regards

Paul
    SDL Community Support

Roy Oestensen
    Denmark
    Member (2010)
    + ...
    Did I write "not prone to viruses"? Nov 20, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Roy Oestensen wrote:

One advantage I can see, is that you are not as prone to be infected with computer viruses on mac as you are on Windows.

But the virus thing is interesting and I wonder if it's really true:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/04/mac-viruses-strike-secure-thunderstrike-2

One way Macs have always been prone to viruses is that the user actually actively runs the virus. I still will maintain that Mac is much less vulnerable to viruses than Windows is. Partly because it until recently have been a much more secure operation system (I begin to get the feeling that Microsoft at last has been able to reduce the risk quite substantially, and of course partly because a lot more machine use Windows, so it's much more interesting for those wanting to exploit weaknesses to attack Windows than Mac.

So I still will maintain that mac is still a more secure environment than Windows is.

Tom in London
    Tom in London
    United Kingdom
    Member (2008)
    Italian to English
    Nope Nov 20, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

..... just as vulnerable technically.

The MacOS is a closed system and all applications that attempt to use it have to pass through a whole series of protocols. This was recently made even more restrictive by the introduction of System Integrity Protection http://tinyurl.com/pmwxmrh - also known as rootless, which prevents the modification or removal of certain system files even by administrative overrides. This means that no user, application, or process will be able to write files or modify files in the root System folder or the /bin, /sbin, and /usr directories, which are hidden by default. The (very) expert user can get around SIP but normally there would be no reason for doing so.

This is in addition to other protections that Apple doesn't like to talk about too much, but about which snippets of information can occasionally be gleaned by reading a lot of Mac nerd websites and forums.

So although a virus may reside on a Mac, and may be passed on from that Mac to somewhere else, if for example if it's in a Word file that was sent to the Mac, the chances of it infecting the Mac are very remote.

The added cost of a Mac is outweighed by the hidden costs associated with Windows, most notably the need by many users to call in a "technician" on a regular basis, and the downtime due to fixing problems with the system. On balance I'd say the cost is about the same so long as you leave pirated Windows software out of the calculation (and which is often the cause of many of those problems).

[Edited at 2015-11-20 15:11 GMT]

RWS Community
    RWS Community
    United Kingdom
    English
    I'm not a MAC user... Nov 20, 2015

... but I instinctively struggle with this:

Tom in London wrote:

The MacOS is a closed system and all applications that attempt to use it have to pass through a whole series of protocols. This was recently made even more restrictive by the introduction of System Integrity Protection http://tinyurl.com/pmwxmrh - also known as rootless, which prevents the modification or removal of certain system files even by administrative overrides. This means that no user, application, or process will be able to write files or modify files in the root System folder or the /bin, /sbin, and /usr directories, which are hidden by default. The (very) expert user can get around SIP but normally there would be no reason for doing so.

This is in addition to other protections that Apple doesn't like to talk about too much, but about which snippets of information can occasionally be gleaned by reading a lot of Mac nerd websites and forums.

So although a virus may reside on a Mac, and may be passed on from that Mac to somewhere else, if for example if it's in a Word file that was sent to the Mac, the chances of it infecting the Mac are very remote.

It's too easy to find information like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/mac-virus-apple_n_1625110.html

Information that contradicts the inherent "safety" of a MAC and just being involved with software developers is enough to affirm my own beliefs that nothing is secure.

But I do hope your own beliefs remain intact.

Cheers

Paul

Tom in London
    Tom in London
    United Kingdom
    Member (2008)
    Italian to English
    They do. Nov 20, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

.... I do hope your own beliefs remain intact.

They're not beliefs. They're fact. I switched from DOS to the Mac OS in 1995. I've never used any kind of add-on virus protection and I've never, ever, had any kind of virus.

Roy Oestensen
    Denmark
    Member (2010)
    + ...
    Of course Microsoft wants us to believe that Windows is as safe as a Mac Nov 20, 2015

It's too easy to find information like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/mac-virus-apple_n_1625110.html

Information that contradicts the inherent "safety" of a MAC and just being involved with software developers is enough to affirm my own beliefs that nothing is secure.

Paul

No software is foolproof to hackers, of course. But it is a fact that some people (read Microsoft) has a vested interest in spreading news about inherent weaknesses in the MacOS, while downplaying weaknesses in Windows. This does not change the fact that all experience shows that so far MacOS has been a much safer system than Windows, also because of the way the system is built.

But another side of the coin is that no system is safer than the user that is using the system. If the user doesn't use common sense, for instance regarding what he allows to be installed on his system, then I doubt that there exists any system that is 100% safe.

Even so, I for one believe that both MacOS and Linux is better safeguarded than Windows is. I have a MacBook from 2010 besides my current Windows 8.1 machine from 2013, and I have had a lot of trouble with my Windows machine, while my MacBook has behaved very nicely all this time. And I don't have any anti-virus system on it (at first I thought I might need one, but decided it was unnecessary to use money on it).

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    No need for Windows Nov 20, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

How you do it, was really not the question, but if you could work with a pure Mac CAT tool. Your suggestion means you need a copy of Studio installed, which you cannot do on a Mac without Windows, as far as I know.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my reply. When I wrote: "Press F8.", I should have written: "Press F8 and note that there are no errors reported."

Because that's actually the case: if you perform QA in your "Mac" tool, you won't get any errors reported in Studio. So you can directly ship the SDLRPX that your "Mac" tool created.

The only scenario where you do need Windows and Studio installed on a Mac, is when you need to review a project while tracking changes.

The complete handling of SDLPPX packages, with termbases and TMs, can be done with Mac software only.

Roy Oestensen
    Denmark
    Member (2010)
    + ...
    You are clearly very trusting when it comes to CAT tools in general Nov 20, 2015

2nl wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my reply. When I wrote: "Press F8.", I should have written: "Press F8 and note that there are no errors reported."

First, how do you know that F8 is used in the specific mac CAT tool that the user is using? I cannot see how you can know for certain that all CAT tools use the same shortcut keys.

Also, it seems like you know that all CAT tools are equally good at handling sdlxliff tools so that you can be certain that Studio won't find any errors if the CAt tool doesn't. I don't feel that confident. I prefer to be totally certain and, therefore, run a final check in Studio after importing it from the other CAT tool.

[Edited at 2015-11-20 17:26 GMT]

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    No I aint Nov 20, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

First, how do you know that F8 is used in the specific mac CAT tool that the user is using?

I have a Studio license myself.

Also, it seems like you know that all CAT tools are equally good at handling sdlxliff tools

I don't think either. Did I say 'all CAT tools'? That must have been a slip of the tongue.

Obviously I'm using one specific CAT tool on my Mac, but for obvious reasons I don't want to mention that tool here in the SDL Studio forum. I think that you know which CAT tool I'm referring to, since you once wrote it reminded you of "levertraan" in your own language. Which I thought was actually very funny.

With all respect, wishing you a great weekend!

Gabriella Alberti
    Gabriella Alberti  Identity Verified
    Italy
    English to Italian
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Why not? Nov 20, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

... but I don't get it. As I understand it, you have a Mac-computer and you use SDL, for which you have to install Windows! So, you end up working with Windows on a Mac anyway. In this case my question: 'Why working on a Mac in the first place? What is the advantage?'

[Edited at 2015-11-19 21:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-19 21:55 GMT]

Hi Robert,

Your questions is more than legitimate, however I travel a lot, also while working, so I can't possibily bring two laptops with me. The reason why I am running Windows on my Mac is because I am used to OS X and I have a very light MacBook Pro Retina, so for me the best way is to install Windows in parallel to my OS X system.

Just so everybody knows, I ended up installing VirtualBox, which is an open source software that allows me to run Windows on my Mac. It is completely free and lets me switch from Mac to Windows just by changing windows. Of course I had to install Microsoft and Office licences, but it's running fantastic for me, and wouldn't change this for a standard laptop.

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    Safety of OS X Nov 21, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Maybe in the old days it wasn't an interesting target, but nonetheless just as vulnerable technically.

http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/294899-safety_of_os_x.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to run Trados on Mac - MacBook users experiences welcome!

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »