Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Sofia Porte / Ann Broklyn - scam from new users claiming to be freelancers in France
Thread poster: Thomas T. Frost
Sebla Küçük
Sebla Küçük  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:35
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sofia Porte found me too! Oct 10, 2017

Sofia Porte wrote to me a few days ago asking if I was available for a project. She sent exactly the same message about project details. Just before replying her, I got a hunch and decided to google her and landed on this thread! Thank you everyone for the warning. I almost took the bait.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:35
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Is this is a bait to download infected files? Oct 10, 2017

I also received the same offer, word for word, except in my case the target language is Hungarian.

I clicked on the WeTransfer link, just out of curiosity, but my gut feeling told me not to download the files. Anyway, the zipped file size is 89 MB! - Looks fishy indeed!

Could this be one disgruntled person's personal crusade against freelancers, in an attempt to attach their computers with virus-infected files?

Csaba

Miquel Ferré Grau
Miquel Ferré Grau
Spain
Local time: 08:35
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Folks, I have the answer of Sofia Porte Oct 11, 2017

She offers a very low rate € 0,033 per word (I paste it at the bottom). Obviously I declined the job. Since the expression "Good day" is often used by real chinese people and spams I had visited the link she offers to download the document and it seems to be a file transfer machine. Since then my curiousity is over.

Sofia Porte

10:13 (hace 1 hora)

para mí

Good day!

Thank you for your reply, I indeed appreciate
... See more
She offers a very low rate € 0,033 per word (I paste it at the bottom). Obviously I declined the job. Since the expression "Good day" is often used by real chinese people and spams I had visited the link she offers to download the document and it seems to be a file transfer machine. Since then my curiousity is over.

Sofia Porte

10:13 (hace 1 hora)

para mí

Good day!

Thank you for your reply, I indeed appreciate it.

Please find project detail below:

· 255 words from English into Spanish

· 3040 words from French into Spanish

· Files : https://we.tl/Zl2uHaKh9I

· Project has to be done in Trados

· Final delivery date: October 12, 9.00 a.m. (CET time)

· One translator for both language pair.

· Budget: 109,25 EUR in total

Please let me know if this offer is suitable for you.

Please do not start the project before confirmation from me will be received!!

------------------
Please do not start any project if confirmation from me is not received!
kind regards,
Sofia Porte

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons) wrote:

The common trait of ANY scammer who ever wrote to me (I've never been scammed in 23 years of career) is their poor grammar or writing style, expecially punctuation. There is no need to investigate further. It's enough to see how they write...

You say that every scammer that contacted you had poor writing skills, but IMO you can't really infer that everyone who writes ungrammatically is a scammer, although that definitely doesn't help to build confidence in them as business partners...

In the past I was discussing a prospective collaboration with an Eastern European client, with a perfect score on the BB and ready to pay my rates, but when they sent me their agreement to sign, and that too was written in poor English (AND contained clauses I did not agree with), I regretfully decided to drop it, although I am pretty sure they're not scammers...

I agree with Mirko that you cannot conclude anything on this basis alone. It’s better to look at all the elements. An outsourcer doesn’t necessarily speak all the languages they outsource, and even though the primary business language is English, it’s not necessary to turn down a proposal if the outsourcer’s poor grammar or style is the only problem, even though I admit it may demonstrate lack of experience.

If you filter by style or grammar alone, you may be at risk of being scammed by an eloquent scammer. Confidence tricksters do this by being smartly dressed – in hotels and restaurants for example – and well behaved. The eloquent scam artist is much more dangerous than the one with bad grammar.

The only time I’ve been scammed was when I worked in airport transfers and tourism many years ago. An eloquent French woman rang me up and booked a last-minute transfer over the phone, confirming by email. The PayPal payment was prompt. She spoke with confidence like any other French person in a business situation.

But the money disappeared ten days later when PayPal applied a chargeback. It must have been paid with a stolen credit card number. I finally got the money back from PayPal several months later after finding a hole in their business practices relative to banking regulations, but that’s another story.
Collapse

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 09:35
English to Romanian
Same email Oct 13, 2017

Deniz YILDIZ wrote:

Here is what I received:

Good day!

Thank you for replying.
I am sending you detailed information about the project, please find below.

Please be kindly informed that this project is for 25 languages and I hope for your understanding if my reply will be shortly.

Project details:
· We need one translator who will cover both language pairs
· 255 words from English into Turkish
· 3040 words from French into Turkish
· Files:
· You have to use Trados
· Final delivery date: October 12, 9.00 a.m. (CET time)
· Total sum for the project: 129,00 EUR

Hoping to hear your positive decision soon.
Please be informed that translation should be start only if I will send you my confirmation.

Thank you in advance!

I received the same email, but for English and French into Romanian.

The budget was lower, though.

And the sender is not Sofia Porte, but Ann Broklyn.

[Edited at 2017-10-13 06:03 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sofia Porte / Ann Broklyn - scam from new users claiming to be freelancers in France

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »