Thread poster: Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:11
French to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2020

I went to the latest contest eager to have a look at the entries and soon remembered that the reason I haven't got involved much in the past is frustration at not having the source text alongside the translation and having to scroll back to the top of the page every 30 seconds. I would suggest either presenting each translation next to the source or (better still) having a button to click - for example, on the same line as the entry number and language - which would display the source as a pop-u... See more
I went to the latest contest eager to have a look at the entries and soon remembered that the reason I haven't got involved much in the past is frustration at not having the source text alongside the translation and having to scroll back to the top of the page every 30 seconds. I would suggest either presenting each translation next to the source or (better still) having a button to click - for example, on the same line as the entry number and language - which would display the source as a pop-up.

[Edited at 2020-11-27 12:05 GMT]
Collapse

Sadek_A
Daryo
Emily Ann McKelvey

Ekaterina Veremyanina
Ekaterina Veremyanina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Opening the contest page in two separate browser windows could be an option Nov 28, 2020

Hello Victoria,
Opening the contest page in two separate browser windows — and aligning them side by side — could make things easier. If your display size allows doing so, of course.

[Edited at 2020-11-28 16:50 GMT]

Aurelia Popa
Aurelia Popa
Romania
Local time: 14:11
Member (2020)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Try this with the translation contests Nov 29, 2020

It's a bit frustrating having to look back for the source text when translating.
But when you start translating, let's say the first sentence (you don't have to finish the whole text), just submit it and when you come back to continue (they say "edit"), both source and target appear next to each other.
That's how I did as I had to complete and then edit my translation for several times.

I hope this is useful,

Regards

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Victoria Nov 29, 2020

Victoria Britten wrote:
...not having the source text alongside the translation and having to scroll back to the top of the page every 30 seconds.

Is clicking on the entry number (which opens the entry in a new page) useful for you?
E.g. https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/entry/31403

Victoria Britten
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Nov 30, 2020

Of course there are workarounds - one that hasn't been mentioned is sticking the source text into a Word document - but it just seems to me that the website itself could make things easier for us!

Julieta Llamazares
Julieta Llamazares  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for your suggestion, Victoria Dec 1, 2020

Hi, Victoria

Thank you for sharing your experience while rating entries. I appreciate your suggestion to make the source text more accesible while reviewing the submitted entries, and I have added this to our backlog of ideas for site improvement, so that it can be further evaluated for possible future implementation.

Have a nice day,

Julieta

Victoria Britten
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Julieta Dec 1, 2020

It's good to feel heard!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impractical layout for rating translations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »