ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 4, 2017

Hi,
I received a document for translatation with a table of content. Unfortunately the first couple of pages are also included in this table and I can't figure out how to extract these pages from the table. The format is Standard, not Title. If I remove the table of content, these pages are removed as well. I'm not sure if I make myself clear here. I never ever had this problem before. Any ideas?
Many tanks in advance,
Irene

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Oct 4, 2017

I found a solution: Copy the section (with the table of content) into a new document, remove all formating, paste it back into the document and apply the formats again. Quite time-consuming, but it worked.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This might work Oct 4, 2017

I've occasionally encountered this problem, and a workaround I have used, although it doesn't always work, consists of saving the document as text only (.txt), then creating a blank word document and copying and pasting the text from the TXT into it. I then translate the Word document with the plain text in it as normal, and then try to recreate the original format or appearance of the document at the end of the process. Sometimes I tell the client it's their responsibility to re-do the index or... See more
I've occasionally encountered this problem, and a workaround I have used, although it doesn't always work, consists of saving the document as text only (.txt), then creating a blank word document and copying and pasting the text from the TXT into it. I then translate the Word document with the plain text in it as normal, and then try to recreate the original format or appearance of the document at the end of the process. Sometimes I tell the client it's their responsibility to re-do the index or table of contents.Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Snap! Oct 4, 2017

ibz wrote:

I found a solution: Copy the section (with the table of content) into a new document, remove all formating, paste it back into the document and apply the formats again. Quite time-consuming, but it worked.

This sounds a bit like the solution I've just suggested. I save it as a TXT file first, because that removes all the original formatting.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 4, 2017

Yes, we had the same idea! I thought that it would be possible to find a less time-consuming solution, but the most important thing is that it worked.
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with table of contents (Word)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »