Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Help! Convert a text in a column into a normal text (Word)
Thread poster: Noelia Ruiz Pérez
Noelia Ruiz Pérez
Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:58
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 23, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I have no doubt of the generosity of the many colleagues who wrote to help you, Noelia. Here are other thoughts, however:

a) There are dozens of Word-specific forums on the Internet offering sensible tips on resolving issues like yours.
b) Likewise, there are dozens of YouTube videos showing how to put those tips into practice.
c) Being proactive and doing all the heavy research and self-learning first is, in my view, a show of respect towards so many of our colleagues who stop doing what they're doing (translating, preparing a file for delivery, etc.) to help out another colleague.

All things considered, it's always great to see a colleague go ahead and ask other colleagues how to solve something or improve a procedure. There are still translators who can't be bothered with formatting issues in Word, and the clients (i.e. the end users of the translations) pay the price.

Mario,

I already did all that. Spent a good part of my time researching, looking for information (in MS sites, YouTube and general forums) and couldn´t get to the bottom of it. I always, always try to solve my issues myself, many times succesfully, others like this time, no so much. And when I fail, I ask for help.

Thank you for the time you took to write this.
Noelia

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Can Unbreaker do this to? Mar 23, 2017

Stanislav Okhvat wrote:

I would suggest for you to use Unbreaker tool (part of TransTools add-in for Microsoft Word)

Thank you for the reminder!

From the AutoUnbreak website:

it will try to reconstruct any hyphenated words and it will not merge lines if they e.g. are a part of a numbered or bulleted list.

Can TransTools' Unbreaker do this too?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My way... Mar 23, 2017

Evi Wollinger wrote:

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it do the same thing (remove paragraph marks) if you copy the text from the pdf into wordpad and then from wordpad into word?
That's what I always do in this case and it works for me - this step removes most formatting.

This sounds a bit like my usual workaround. I simply save the text from the PD in .TXT format (Wordpad) and then save it again as a Word file, or create a new Word document and paste the text into it.

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 13:58
English to Russian
Re: Can Unbreaker do this to? Mar 23, 2017

Hello,

If the PDF file contains actual hyphen characters, then they will be removed when lines are merged by Unbreaker. However, if a line ends in a simple dash-hyphen character (-), this character will not be removed, but treated as a dash in the middle of a word. At the same time, it will be highlighted in red so it will be quite simple to perform a manual find & replace operation across the whole document and remove this dash if it is not needed.

Best regards,
... See more
Hello,

If the PDF file contains actual hyphen characters, then they will be removed when lines are merged by Unbreaker. However, if a line ends in a simple dash-hyphen character (-), this character will not be removed, but treated as a dash in the middle of a word. At the same time, it will be highlighted in red so it will be quite simple to perform a manual find & replace operation across the whole document and remove this dash if it is not needed.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Small mistake Mar 24, 2017

Peter van der Hoek wrote:

There is anorher, very simple way yo convert a column into simple text.

Copy the column, open your email client (like Thunderbird), click on New Message, right click in the text field and select Copy without formatting.

You can then copy the text into any document.

Of course I meant "Paste without formatting" and not "Copy without formatting"

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Convert a text in a column into a normal text (Word)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »