Paolo Troiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:09
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 24, 2016

Hello,

I am using MS Office 2007 on Windows 8.1.
All of sudden, since this morning Word 2007 does not open HTML files.
When I try to do so, Word gets stuck and crashes after a while.
Can you help on that?

Thanks
Paolo

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not clear Aug 25, 2016

You are not clear enough. Does it happen when you try opening particular files or any HTML file? If some particular files, then, probably, you can’t do much, as the problem may relate to some specific markup elements. Try using LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice, they are much more robust than microsoft’s trash. Anyway, I would first clean up the system hard drive (c:) using the built-in Windows disk cleaner or any suitable utility and then make sure that there is nothing extraneous in the use... See more
You are not clear enough. Does it happen when you try opening particular files or any HTML file? If some particular files, then, probably, you can’t do much, as the problem may relate to some specific markup elements. Try using LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice, they are much more robust than microsoft’s trash. Anyway, I would first clean up the system hard drive (c:) using the built-in Windows disk cleaner or any suitable utility and then make sure that there is nothing extraneous in the user settings directories (c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office and c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ on Windows 7, don’t know about 8).

[Edited at 2016-08-25 07:54 GMT]
Collapse

Paolo Troiani
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All files Aug 25, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
It does open some files, but very small ones and after having ruminated for minutes. Otherwise, whenever I try to open normal ones (say 50-60Kb or more), it gets stuck after 4-5 seconds.

I followed your advice and CCleaned the hard disk, but the problem is still here.

I also downloaded LibreOffice and it works: I can open those HTML files, so they are not corrupted.
Problem is that LibreOffice Writer's functions a
... See more
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
It does open some files, but very small ones and after having ruminated for minutes. Otherwise, whenever I try to open normal ones (say 50-60Kb or more), it gets stuck after 4-5 seconds.

I followed your advice and CCleaned the hard disk, but the problem is still here.

I also downloaded LibreOffice and it works: I can open those HTML files, so they are not corrupted.
Problem is that LibreOffice Writer's functions and commands are a bit different from Word, but I will try to get used to that.

Do you think I need to reinstall MS word?

[Edited at 2016-08-25 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Delete normal.dot? Aug 25, 2016

Paolo Troiani wrote:

Before you do that, try finding a file named normal.dot or normal.dotm on your computer, and make a copy of it (so that you can copy it back if you want to), and then delete it from it's original location. Then restart MS Word. MS Word will recreate the normal.dot file, which can fix all kinds of problems.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
dotm Aug 25, 2016

It’s definitely normal.dotm (as it’s MSO 2007). Even if a normal.dot is present, it should not affect the program operation.

Paolo Troiani
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deleted normal.dotm Aug 25, 2016

Hi again.

I only found normal.dotm (not .dot) and I deleted it, then I closed Office, reopened Word and tried to open some html file. Nothing. Same as before.

I deleted again the normal.dotm, shut down and restart laptop and tried to open some html file. It works with small ones, but it is veeery slow and, again, gets stuck and crashes with a normal one.

I noticed that even opening a .docx file is slower than usual.

I am starting to believe t
... See more
Hi again.

I only found normal.dotm (not .dot) and I deleted it, then I closed Office, reopened Word and tried to open some html file. Nothing. Same as before.

I deleted again the normal.dotm, shut down and restart laptop and tried to open some html file. It works with small ones, but it is veeery slow and, again, gets stuck and crashes with a normal one.

I noticed that even opening a .docx file is slower than usual.

I am starting to believe that I have no choice but reinstalling Word or using LibreOffice....

[Edited at 2016-08-25 22:43 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Weird Aug 26, 2016

That’s quite weird, as resetting normal.dot(m) usually removes most problems (however, most your assets too) from Word. If you reinstall, make sure to delete both the program directory and the user settings directory in order to make a (more or less) clean install.

And yes, try LibreOffice. You’ll love this wonderful program.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Just use LibreOffice as a file converter Aug 26, 2016

Paolo Troiani wrote:

Problem is that LibreOffice Writer's functions and commands are a bit different from Word, but I will try to get used to that.

No. Reinstalling a software is the very last resort and should never be done without good reason.

Try this: Open the document in LibreOffice, export it from there and open the exported version in Word. This is the standard solution if Word is unable to open a file.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-08-26 07:29 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
dotm copies? Aug 26, 2016

You might want to make a global search for *.dotm, to ensure that Word is not accessing some copy of the file in another directory.

I never load html files in Word, but I have had intermittent problems with other files too. Deleting dotm (and losing all my Word macros) normally works for a while, but not always.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Keep .dotm clean Aug 26, 2016

Luca Tutino wrote:

Deleting dotm (and losing all my Word macros) normally works for a while, but not always.

Never ever put your personal macros into dotm. Put them into a separate file and set it to read-only. Put this file into Word's Startup location.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/startup.htm

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
separate dotm Aug 27, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:

Luca Tutino wrote:

Deleting dotm (and losing all my Word macros) normally works for a while, but not always.

Never ever put your personal macros into dotm. Put them into a separate file and set it to read-only. Put this file into Word's Startup location.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/startup.htm

I actually kept a separate copy, but I do not trust to use it anymore as it seems one of the possible slowing-down factors.

Paolo Troiani
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Registry keys Aug 27, 2016

Hi again,

Sorry if I am replying a bit late.

@RoIf: I have tried to export the file with LibreOffice, but it allows me to export only in .txt, .sxw, .odt formats (a priori excluding .pdf, .jpg and .png) and none of them, if opened in word 2007, gives satisfactory results. But thanks anyway.

I have performed some tests and funny thing is that the file opens smoothly even with Excel 2007 (in fact, is a kind of table) so I thought that must be something rela
... See more
Hi again,

Sorry if I am replying a bit late.

@RoIf: I have tried to export the file with LibreOffice, but it allows me to export only in .txt, .sxw, .odt formats (a priori excluding .pdf, .jpg and .png) and none of them, if opened in word 2007, gives satisfactory results. But thanks anyway.

I have performed some tests and funny thing is that the file opens smoothly even with Excel 2007 (in fact, is a kind of table) so I thought that must be something related to my Word.

Browsing around the web I came across this article: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-microsoft-word-will-not-start-and-run-properly so I started reading and following it.

Basically, after having created a system restore point as recommended, I have just played a little bit with some registry keys (word data and word option), but still, I did not resolve the problem with that .html file (and similar ones).
However, overall Word has considerably speeded up.

I believe I will keep going in that direction for the latest attempts before using the lethal weapon of reinstallng Word.

Thanks for all your inputs

[Edited at 2016-08-27 21:57 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not only Aug 28, 2016

Paolo Troiani wrote:
…LibreOffice… allows me to export only in .txt, .sxw, .odt formats

Not only. After you have produced an ODT file, you can export it to DOC or DOCX. But I still don’t understand, why not work entirely in LibreOffice.

[Edited at 2016-08-28 06:12 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
A separate myMacros.dotm Aug 28, 2016

Luca Tutino wrote:

I actually kept a separate copy, but I do not trust to use it anymore as it seems one of the possible slowing-down factors.

I'm not sure what "copy" means here. I wrote about "macros in a separate file". A copy of the normal.dotm file is a different thing.

If you keep your private macros in Startup/myMacros.dotm, Word might start one or two seconds slower, but will not run slower afterwards. Except if your PC is ???, or you have 999 lengthy macros.

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
separate mymacros Aug 28, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:

If you keep your private macros in Startup/myMacros.dotm, Word might start one or two seconds slower, but will not run slower afterwards.

Good to know - thanks!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 does not open html files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »