Local time: 16:27
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 12, 2009

Hi all,
I need your help, please.
I have locked the keyboard of my laptop unintentionally and don't know how to unlock it. In fact I don't recall how I did it. I've tried all possible combinations with ctrl+alt, but nothing happens. But that's probably natural. After all, the keyboard is locked:-?

Thanks,
Maria

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:27
English to Arabic
You mean lock the computer? Nov 12, 2009

Dear Maria,

When a computer is locked, this is because you pressed the following combination:
windows + L.

Then you could unlock it by pressing the following combination:
ctrl + alt + delete, then entering your user name and pass.

Hope this helps, if this is what you meant.

Best,
Mohamed

[Edited at 2009-11-12 12:16 GMT]

Maria Castro
Maria Castro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
just keyboard Nov 12, 2009

Hi Mohamed,
Thanks for your reply, but it's not the computer, it's just the keyboard. I was told it has a security function that allows us to lock it and I think that's what I did unintentionally, because now I can't use it. If I want to write, for example, I have to use the virtual keyboard.

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
See here Nov 12, 2009

Just google "unlock a keyboard"

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=unlocking%20a%20keyboard&meta=&aq=0&oq=unlocking%20a%20keybo&fp=408428c3d949fea1

Maria Castro
Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
thanks Nov 12, 2009

Hi Lucia,
Thanks for the link. The tips are useful but the boxes are already unchecked in the acessibility options. It has to be some other way.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Laptop make & model Nov 12, 2009

My best advice is to google using the make & model of your laptop (i.e. "unlock keyboard Asus GX4500"). Maybe look up a manual for the model, or visit the forum of the maker.
I have never heard of such a "feature" but perhaps it does exist.
Of course you could also try a system restore to a recent restore point if you don't feel like investigating... and of course it could be a hardware issue, i.e. broken cable or soldering or slipped connector.

[Edited at 2009-11-12 13:19 GM
... See more
My best advice is to google using the make & model of your laptop (i.e. "unlock keyboard Asus GX4500"). Maybe look up a manual for the model, or visit the forum of the maker.
I have never heard of such a "feature" but perhaps it does exist.
Of course you could also try a system restore to a recent restore point if you don't feel like investigating... and of course it could be a hardware issue, i.e. broken cable or soldering or slipped connector.

[Edited at 2009-11-12 13:19 GMT]
Collapse

Milan Djukić
Milan Djukić  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Laptop model Nov 12, 2009

Maria,

Can you share with us info about laptop model and OS you are using?

Regards,
Milan

Maria Castro
Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I may have found the answer Nov 12, 2009

@Milan
It's Fujitsu Amilo M1425, Windows XP

I think I found the answer here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q126449

Thanks for your tips

Maria

Yuvarajrao
Yuvarajrao
India
Restart Sep 13, 2015

Dear all,

I know I am posting this so lately. But I had the similar issues now as I intentionally long pressed some keys and it became unlocked. I thought my way of finding a solution would help others. It is as simple as it is that you save all your work using mouse/touch-pad and restart the computer. This takes only a couple of minutes. I learnt this by myself thinking logically after I did not find a solution from google. I hope this helps!

Thanks
Yuvaraj

robfdes5
robfdes5
India
Keyboard lock unlock Sep 29, 2017

Expand notification icon, there you see keyboard with red sign just right click on it and click exit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I unlock keyboard?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »