Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
G-word? Jan 8, 2021

Above my head, that one, Chris. Although I'm sure it's obvious. But all too true. Why, my own mother's liver and onions, oven-cooked on low heat, were belittled the other day to my face. How dare you, I told this man, how dare you besmirch my mother's liver and onions? With all your hoity-toitiness about fish and pintxos, you have not the faintest idea over here of how to cook the quality lamb's liver sold in watering holes the length and breadth of Ireland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain a... See more
Above my head, that one, Chris. Although I'm sure it's obvious. But all too true. Why, my own mother's liver and onions, oven-cooked on low heat, were belittled the other day to my face. How dare you, I told this man, how dare you besmirch my mother's liver and onions? With all your hoity-toitiness about fish and pintxos, you have not the faintest idea over here of how to cook the quality lamb's liver sold in watering holes the length and breadth of Ireland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, not to mention the few colonies Liz has left.

With all that mise en scène and mis en bouteille au château claptrappish poppycockish balderdash spiel you copied from the Frogs, what do you do with it? You fry it to a frazzle, that's what you do, and serve it up tougher than a Basque boot. Oh yes, you concentrate on the caramelised onion, of course, failing to realise that the onion is a mere accompaniment, un rien, a nothing, a diddley, a squat, a zilch, a bugger all, my friend. And what does caramelised even mean?

And, since I have mentioned fish, what, pray tell, is the difference between the battered white fish served up in the unsung chippies of the Frozen North, from Penzance to the Outer Hebrides, and the battered white fish you place noiselessly and reverently on tables here? Price, my friend, price. I used to be able to get a cod supper for around five of the UK's best quids, if memory serves me right, at Gareth's in my home town, but I would be lucky to get it for the equivalent of fifteen or twenty here. And the chips, oh the chips would be extra, of course. Why? Because the potatoes have undergone a lengthy quality process in the lonely plains of Álava, and have been cut finer, sharper and indeed poofier for the so-called discerning palate? Please. Let us be done with the sneering, my friend.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
G-word Jan 8, 2021

Gratin? Gastronomie? Grandeur?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Grilled Jan 8, 2021

It's grilled, innit? I knowed it, I just knowed it.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don’t make me say it, I’m British! Jan 8, 2021

It rhymes with Dalek.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Exterminate! Jan 8, 2021

Chris S wrote:

It rhymes with Dalek.

Galek? Galactic Gallic?

[Edited at 2021-01-08 17:18 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Certainly Gallic Jan 8, 2021

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

Galek? Galactic Gallic?

[Edited at 2021-01-08 17:18 GMT]

Repelling daleks and zombies and vampires is all it should ever be used for.

One for the Catherine Tate Show fans:
In mashed potato? In Leeds? The dirty, dirty, stinking basstads!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ahhh Jan 8, 2021

And I've realised an awful truth. I use g_____ every day. Every single day. And twice on Sundays. Sometimes - and I'm not proud of this - I even nibble it raw. They've got me. Nothing I can do. It's everywhere.

Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Stinker Jan 8, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

And I've realised an awful truth. I use g_____ every day. Every single day. And twice on Sundays. Sometimes - and I'm not proud of this - I even nibble it raw. They've got me. Nothing I can do. It's everywhere.

Yes, so do I, in Continental dishes. But not in British dishes. I owe that much to my country and our proud tradition of culinary blandness.

Odd, really, that in recent years we should effectively adopt curry as our national dish.

What does that say about us?

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The distant future Jan 8, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Yes, so do I, in Continental dishes. But not in British dishes. I owe that much to my country and our proud tradition of culinary blandness.

Odd, really, that in recent years we should effectively adopt curry as our national dish.

What does that say about us?

Not so recent after all.

in London, I once saw a restaurant which was called: "Curry 2000". Speak of a taste from the distant future…

The distant future, the year 2000…:

Flight of The Conchords - Robots - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhYgprPB9o

Also, when (in the distant future) I was in Paris and worked in-house along a team of translators, each coming from a different european country, every month, one of us had to pick a restaurant to celebrate their culinary culture. I think the English translator got us to a Thai restaurant…

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Murghi jalfreizi, sag bhindi, shobje naan, some poppadoms and a port aloo Jan 9, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

in London, I once saw a restaurant which was called: "Curry 2000". Speak of a taste from the distant future…

The distant future, the year 2000…:

Flight of The Conchords - Robots - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhYgprPB9o

Also, when (in the distant future) I was in Paris and worked in-house along a team of translators, each coming from a different european country, every month, one of us had to pick a restaurant to celebrate their culinary culture. I think the English translator got us to a Thai restaurant…

Lol.

I remember Curry 2000 well. The original owner wanted to give two fingers to the Chinese across the road: “You may have 114 numbered dishes on your takeaway menu, but we’ve got 2000 curries on ours - and they’re all in the same gravy, losers!”

These days it’s a pizza parlour, of course, but they’ve kept the name for a laugh because that’s how we roll. Rather like the Labour Party still calling itself the Labour Party. That famous British sense of irony.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bangers and Mash Jan 9, 2021

I don't want to sound dismissive of a cuisine with lots of dishes I absolutely love: pies, roast-beef, the breakfast lot, and all kind of cakes and puddings.

But this is quite funny: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/16/sophia-loren-frozen-in-time-london-june-1960-millionairess

(...), Loren and Seller
... See more
I don't want to sound dismissive of a cuisine with lots of dishes I absolutely love: pies, roast-beef, the breakfast lot, and all kind of cakes and puddings.

But this is quite funny: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/16/sophia-loren-frozen-in-time-london-june-1960-millionairess

(...), Loren and Sellers recorded a single called Bangers and Mash. He sang the part of a Cockney man distraught at his Italian wife’s insistence on cooking such muck as tagliatelle. “I met her down in Napoli and didn’t she look great. And so I brought her back to Blighty just to show me mates. And though we’re married happily, I’ll tell you furthermore, I haven’t had a decent meal since 1944.” Loren is a great actress, but here, you can hear her patience running out.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Follow-up Jan 9, 2021

Their follow-up "Goodness Gracious Me" would now be considered politically incorrect because of Sellers' cod-Indian accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ov-vBxDuE

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sea shanty Jan 28, 2021

That fabulous friend of mine, Barbara Carrara, has just sent me the most wonderful sea shanty, and I have to share it with you all, me mateys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjVDmMI4sbk

I find this performance so very moving, and I hope you'll like it too. Enjoy!

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
Barbara Carrara

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amazing Jan 28, 2021

Really amazing. I was riveted to it. Thanks, PLF and Barbara! I'm slightly short on sea shanties (try saying that one after a few beers), but I love this one.

[Edited at 2021-01-28 12:26 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Barbara Carrara

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
and I thought... Jan 28, 2021

this thread was finally dead...

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »