How much should I charge for a 15 min-interview and language assessment?
Thread poster: Tina Lavrentiadou
Tina Lavrentiadou
Tina Lavrentiadou  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:26
Member (2007)
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
Oct 17, 2017

Hi all,

I was contacted by an agency to join a project interviewing 10 people for about 10 to 15 minutes in Greek, probably within one day, and then elaborate a report about their competencies identified.
I am based in Portugal, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me how much they charge for such kind of projects in their own country, preferably in Europe, because I have no clue at all!

Thank you all very much in advance.

Tina

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
German to English
Minimum of 1 hour Oct 17, 2017

Unless it's a regular customer, you should have a minimum 1-hour charge for any service requiring more than a very few minutes. It's not clear from your message whether all ten people were being individually interviewed or interviewed as a group. If it's 10 individual 15-minute interviews, then you should charge for at least 150 minutes. If it's a group interview, you need to take into account the time required to record the assessment of each individual. This could easily take an hour – or mo... See more
Unless it's a regular customer, you should have a minimum 1-hour charge for any service requiring more than a very few minutes. It's not clear from your message whether all ten people were being individually interviewed or interviewed as a group. If it's 10 individual 15-minute interviews, then you should charge for at least 150 minutes. If it's a group interview, you need to take into account the time required to record the assessment of each individual. This could easily take an hour – or more.Collapse

Tina Lavrentiadou
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Individual interviews Oct 17, 2017

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for your reply. To clarify, these people are to be interviewed individually.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other skils and more Oct 17, 2017

I would also take other required skills into consideration. Not everyone is able to do an interview and it also depends on how professionally they want to have that done. I think you need to look at how much it will cost you in hours including preparation and processing afterwards and charge at least 15-20% extra. It is also more realistic to think 2-3 interviews/hr than 4.

I have only ever done door to door interviews and some over the phone consecutive interpretation so the rest i
... See more
I would also take other required skills into consideration. Not everyone is able to do an interview and it also depends on how professionally they want to have that done. I think you need to look at how much it will cost you in hours including preparation and processing afterwards and charge at least 15-20% extra. It is also more realistic to think 2-3 interviews/hr than 4.

I have only ever done door to door interviews and some over the phone consecutive interpretation so the rest is just common sense. Also try to find out why they approached you to do this and even ask them about that and make sure you feel good about the overall process.

Best of luck.
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Range Oct 18, 2017

You did not mention whether you will be doing the interviews on the phone, in-person, etc. Also, do you have to find people on your own who meet a certain set of criteria...or will the agency provide you with the subjects?

In any case, I think you should be thinking in the range of $200 to $300 per interview, depending on what is involved. The interview is just a small part of what you will be doing.

No matter what you decide, keep track of your hours when you finall
... See more
You did not mention whether you will be doing the interviews on the phone, in-person, etc. Also, do you have to find people on your own who meet a certain set of criteria...or will the agency provide you with the subjects?

In any case, I think you should be thinking in the range of $200 to $300 per interview, depending on what is involved. The interview is just a small part of what you will be doing.

No matter what you decide, keep track of your hours when you finally do the project. Record everything, even the time it takes you to drive, make appointments, or print out materials and organize them. This will help you determine a rate that works for you. If you can do a mock interview before the project begins, that is even better.
Collapse

Tina Lavrentiadou
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interviews via Skype Oct 18, 2017

Hi Amel,

Thank you for your response. The interviews will be held via Skype and the agency will provide me with the subjects.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
30 - 45 minutes Oct 18, 2017

Just for the interviews you should charge your normal hourly rate, that is, your rate for 30 - 45 minutes for each interview, including the individual preparation time for each single interview, conducting the interview, ending it, provided the interview goes smoothly, no interruptions, no starting over again, etc.
Keep track of your time from the moment the client sends you the material and you start preparing it. After the interview, again, charge your hourly rate for each interview asse
... See more
Just for the interviews you should charge your normal hourly rate, that is, your rate for 30 - 45 minutes for each interview, including the individual preparation time for each single interview, conducting the interview, ending it, provided the interview goes smoothly, no interruptions, no starting over again, etc.
Keep track of your time from the moment the client sends you the material and you start preparing it. After the interview, again, charge your hourly rate for each interview assessment, and keep track of the time you actually need to complete each individual task. Don't forget the time it takes you to send all files, and possible discussions or demands to change any part of your assessment and/or the recordings.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for a 15 min-interview and language assessment?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »