Thread poster: Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
Member (2008)
French to English
Oct 5, 2017

I'm consulting with a small agency that wants to start doing in-house memory management. They are probably going to go with MemoQ. I am talking to a sales rep, but I'm having trouble getting some of my questions answered while she is on the road. Does anyone know how many downloads/licenses you get with the translator version versus the PM version? Is there a limit to the number of languages you can have installed like there is with Trados freelance? And how easy is it really to import and expo... See more
I'm consulting with a small agency that wants to start doing in-house memory management. They are probably going to go with MemoQ. I am talking to a sales rep, but I'm having trouble getting some of my questions answered while she is on the road. Does anyone know how many downloads/licenses you get with the translator version versus the PM version? Is there a limit to the number of languages you can have installed like there is with Trados freelance? And how easy is it really to import and export documents to work with translators who prefer to use Trados?Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Oct 5, 2017

OK! I have been using memoQ Server in my office since 2009. It was quite an investment for my small firm (4 people) back then, but it has allowed us to do things that were inimaginable with the software we had back then (individual licenses of Trados 8).

Let me try to give some hints. Your Kilgray sales rep can explain this in more detail.

Joan Berglund wrote:
Does anyone know how many downloads/licenses you get with the translator version versus the PM version?

This basically only gives you one license in both cases. The difference is not only in the price (the Project Manager version being more than twice the price of the translator pro version), but in the fact that with the Project Manager version you can prepare packages to outsource work externally and create multilingual projects you can distribute among different language professionals. They in turn will need to have their own memoQ licenses, unless they use another tool that processes XLIFF files (almost all do these days).

If they plan to have more than one person managing and outsourcing multilingual projects and they can afford it, it would definitely pay for them to have a Server. After all, a Server with the standard 5 licenses costs less than buying 5 Project Manager licenses, and it will allow them to share out licenses temporarily to translators who do not have a memoQ license, added to the benefit of having properly unified TMs, TBs, and other resources which the translators can use and contribute to online. Again, it is quite an investment, but it can be recovered quite quickly in my opinion if you get proper training and learn to exploit the Server.

Joan Berglund wrote:
Is there a limit to the number of languages you can have installed like there is with Trados freelance?

Nope! You can use as many languages as you like, as far as I am aware.

Joan Berglund wrote:
And how easy is it really to import and export documents to work with translators who prefer to use Trados?

Very easy: you can simply give them memoQ bilingual XLIFF files which they can open and work with in their tools. You can also easily export a memory in TMX format for them. As for glossaries, please notice that there is at present no direct interchangeability between Multiterm and memoQ's termbases. You would have to export CSV files from memoQ to give them as glossaries, which they would then use in Excel or can convert from Excel to Multiterm if they know how.

When translations come back from your translators, you simply import them to your memoQ project in one step. When it comes for you to translate Studio files in memoQ, again it is as simple as importing the files and get translating, with the caveat that they need to be "presegmented," i.e. you need to copy the source to target in Studio before importing to memoQ. This copying can be done easily in Studio.

In terms of productivity, I can definitely vouch for memoQ. It is very intuitive once you learn the very basics, and there is plenty of tutorials and recorded webinars for everything. In my experience, it makes translators and project managers very productive indeed and it is much faster than Studio when handling files, memories, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying to decide between translator pro and project manager

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »