Shortcut for 'delete rest of the segment from the cursor'?
Thread poster: Anne Lee
Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2016

Since I cannot find an existing shortcut for 'delete rest of segment from the cursor' (contrary to Trados Studio, where I managed to use or create a shortcut for this function, which saves a lot of time), I have tried to edit the existing shortcuts.
I admit that I am rusty because I haven't used MemoQ for a considerable period of time.
When editing the shortcuts, after cloning the existing list, I cannot see how I could create this shortcut. There is only a shortcut to select the r
... See more
Since I cannot find an existing shortcut for 'delete rest of segment from the cursor' (contrary to Trados Studio, where I managed to use or create a shortcut for this function, which saves a lot of time), I have tried to edit the existing shortcuts.
I admit that I am rusty because I haven't used MemoQ for a considerable period of time.
When editing the shortcuts, after cloning the existing list, I cannot see how I could create this shortcut. There is only a shortcut to select the rest of the segment, but I would like to combine this with 'delete'.
How do I create a new shortcut for this? I have followed the instructions I found online, but as I said, it only seems possible to assign different keys to existing shortcut rather than create macros - and I cannot find this function among the existing shortcuts.
It would make my life a lot easier if I could resolve this, because it has already significantly increased my pace of work in Trados Studio.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:24
English to Russian
Ctrl+Delete Mar 3, 2016

You can use Windows shortcut: press Ctrl+Delete and hold it for a second.
Also I often use Shift+arrowdown to select by lines.

Out of curiosity: why do you need this action? You have something valuable at the beginning of a segment and something superfluous at its second half? How does it happen?
I have a guess that you need it because you copy source to target to make sure that all tags have been inserted, but can you confirm if my guess is right?
I also saw the D
... See more
You can use Windows shortcut: press Ctrl+Delete and hold it for a second.
Also I often use Shift+arrowdown to select by lines.

Out of curiosity: why do you need this action? You have something valuable at the beginning of a segment and something superfluous at its second half? How does it happen?
I have a guess that you need it because you copy source to target to make sure that all tags have been inserted, but can you confirm if my guess is right?
I also saw the Delete to next tag button in Trados. Looks like its highly sensitive tagging system requires these shortcuts.
In memoQ, I prefer to remove all tags (Ctrl+F8 for all segments) before I start translating. memoQ is not that sensetive to tag position inside a segment, and you can safely delete and insert them when needed.

[Edited at 2016-03-03 05:24 GMT]
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 01:24
English to Chinese
I would also like a shortcut for "delete remaining segment from cursor until next tag" Mar 3, 2016

I usually copy source to target (or have this setting on by default) and type my translation over the English text. Since the Chinese characters take up less space, the target segment is often left with English text that didn't get overwritten. Besides Ctrl+D, another useful shortcut for me would be one that only deletes until it hits the next tag. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I asked Kilgray Support for an AHK script and they said it's out of their support... See more
I usually copy source to target (or have this setting on by default) and type my translation over the English text. Since the Chinese characters take up less space, the target segment is often left with English text that didn't get overwritten. Besides Ctrl+D, another useful shortcut for me would be one that only deletes until it hits the next tag. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I asked Kilgray Support for an AHK script and they said it's out of their support scope (which is true). I think this delete until next tag feature would be handy for translators who work in this way.

Chunyi
Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why I copy source to target Mar 3, 2016

Thanks for that.
Yes, I always start a translation with copying all the source text to the target. Maybe it's a bad habit. It means that the numbers and symbols are already in position.

However, it leaves me with having to delete the rest. In Trados Studio, I have programmed 2 keys on my gaming keyboard (which I only use because it is backlit and provides me with a row of programmable keys) for the functions: 'delete text to the end of segment' and 'confirm segment and move t
... See more
Thanks for that.
Yes, I always start a translation with copying all the source text to the target. Maybe it's a bad habit. It means that the numbers and symbols are already in position.

However, it leaves me with having to delete the rest. In Trados Studio, I have programmed 2 keys on my gaming keyboard (which I only use because it is backlit and provides me with a row of programmable keys) for the functions: 'delete text to the end of segment' and 'confirm segment and move to the next translatable segment'. Those keys are next to each other and I can hit them very quickly after translating each segment.

I could not agree more with you that MemoQ is much more forgiving on tags. In fact, I used to prefer working in MemoQ, but I had to revert to Trados Studio because of the assignments I received. I am now having problems readapting to MemoQ and I have lost my translation speed because I'm unfamiliar with the shortcuts.
CTRL + Delete takes several seconds with longer sentences, so it would be quicker to select the text and delete it, but I really want to find something quicker. I'm surprised it doesn't appear to exist.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
AutoHotkey? Mar 3, 2016

Anne Lee wrote:

Thanks for that.

However, it leaves me with having to delete the rest. In Trados Studio, I have programmed 2 keys on my gaming keyboard (which I only use because it is backlit and provides me with a row of programmable keys) for the functions: 'delete text to the end of segment' and 'confirm segment and move to the next translatable segment'. Those keys are next to each other and I can hit them very quickly after translating each segment.

I could not agree more with you that MemoQ is much more forgiving on tags. In fact, I used to prefer working in MemoQ, but I had to revert to Trados Studio because of the assignments I received. I am now having problems readapting to MemoQ and I have lost my translation speed because I'm unfamiliar with the shortcuts.
CTRL + Delete takes several seconds with longer sentences, so it would be quicker to select the text and delete it, but I really want to find something quicker. I'm surprised it doesn't appear to exist.

It should be fairly simple to make one in AutoHotkey. In fact, I'm sure someone already has. All it is really is:

Ctrl+Shift+Right + Delete

Yes, Delete until end of segment is a handy function, and one that CafeTran also has.

Et voilà: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/25587

Subject: Keystroke combination for deleting all text from cursor to end of segment?

Hi,

Is there a keystroke combination for deleting all text from cursor to end of segment? Or to the next tag, would do just as great. Cannot find this, am used to ctrl-shift-down arrow.

Vänliga hälsningar/Kind regards

Eva Heljesten

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
As usual, AHL comes to the rescue with Ctrl-Shift-Backspace:

^+Backspace:: ; Delete to end of segment
sendinput, +^{PgDn}
sendinput, {Delete}
return

As a bonus, Ctrl-Backspace deletes everything and adds a full stop/period.

^Backspace:: ; Delete to end of segment (with full stop)
sendinput, +^{PgDn}
sendinput, {Delete}
sendinput, .
return

Gary

Notes:

! = Alt
^ = Ctrl
# = Windows key
+ = Shift

Just add the code above (in the code block) to an empty text file and save it somewhere clever, with the extension ".ahk"
Maybe even make a shortcut out of it (right-click > create shortcut), and stick that shortcut here:

C:\Users\[insert your user name here]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

That way it wil start automatically every time you start Windows.

Then install AutoHotkey from https://autohotkey.com/

Then double-click the shortcut, script, or just restart your computer.

[Edited at 2016-03-03 09:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-03 09:43 GMT]

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Auto hotkey Mar 3, 2016

Thanks for all the replies. Your technical skills are impressive, Michael. I have no time to try this now. I've resorted to Shift+CTRL+page down and delete for now, because I am under time pressure.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:24
English to Russian
Thank you Mar 3, 2016

Anne Lee wrote:
Shift+CTRL+page down and delete

Thank you for sharing this.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:24
English to Italian
Shift+End Mar 3, 2016

Anne Lee wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. Your technical skills are impressive, Michael. I have no time to try this now. I've resorted to Shift+CTRL+page down and delete for now, because I am under time pressure.

Wouldn't Shift+End be easier/faster?

sam@fr-uk
sam@fr-uk
United Kingdom
French to English
Brilliant! Mar 3, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
Just add the code above (in the code block) to an empty text file and save it somewhere clever, with the extension ".ahk"

Wow, thanks very much, Michael! It only took me a minute to incorporate that code into my existing .ahk file, and it works perfectly. Very handy.

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shift + End only goes to end of the line Mar 3, 2016

To Mirko: Whereas Ctrl+Shift+ page down followed by delete, gets rid of everything past the cursor within the segment.
I may try that auto hotkey after all.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:24
English to Italian
Ah, yes Mar 3, 2016

Anne Lee wrote:

To Mirko: Whereas Ctrl+Shift+ page down followed by delete, gets rid of everything past the cursor within the segment.
I may try that auto hotkey after all.

You're absolutely right! I think I'll adopt the shortcut you mentioned, then

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
You're welcome! Mar 3, 2016

sam@fr-uk wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Wow, thanks very much, Michael! It only took me a minute to incorporate that code into my existing .ahk file, and it works perfectly. Very handy.

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:24
English to Russian
+ ...
delete to the end of segment Sep 29, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Anne Lee wrote:

Wouldn't Shift+End be easier/faster?

Ctrl + End = move cursor to the end of the DOCUMENT
Ctrl + PgDown = move cursor to the end of SEGMENT
Wneh you add Shift in this combination you MOVE the curser to selected position and SELECT the text between the initial and final positions of the cursor.
All you have to do is press Delete or Backspace.
If you want to delete one line you can select it using Shift+End and then DELETE.
But additional program that can assign required shortcuts would be very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcut for 'delete rest of the segment from the cursor'?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »