Translate a whole TMX/XLIFF file with Google Translate in one pass?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:13
Dec 24, 2014

Some translators have limited access to the internet. One of them asked me:

Is it possible to translate a whole TMX or XLIFF file with Google Translate in one pass, on moments where I have access to the internet? I could then load this "pre-translated" TMX or XLIFF file in my CAT tool.

Andrey Zhykol
Andrey Zhykol
Ukraine
Local time: 16:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Use xBench Dec 24, 2014

You can use APsic Xbench to convert TMX into csv, and then, open csv in Excel and save it as XLS. Then, translate whole XLS file in GT. Then you can use Trados WinAlign to convert translated XLS back to TMX.

Francis Marche
Francis Marche  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Translation as an art form Dec 24, 2014

Thank you Andrey. Now we know everything there is to know on the art of translating. Can I train my dog to do that ?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
QTranslate Dec 24, 2014

2nl wrote:
Is it possible to translate a whole TMX or XLIFF file with Google Translate in one pass, on moments where I have access to the internet? I could then load this "pre-translated" TMX or XLIFF file in my CAT tool.

First, extract the text from your CAT tool, then use QTranslate to translate it, then use an aligner to create a TM, then penalise that TM in the CAT tool (either by munging the source text a bit, or via the CAT tool's own match penalty function).

Can one extract all segments from a project using CafeTrans, in such a way that the extracted segments are useful when put into a TM?

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Okapi Rainbow Dec 25, 2014

Andrey Zhykol wrote:

You can use APsic Xbench to convert TMX into csv, and then, open csv in Excel and save it as XLS. Then, translate whole XLS file in GT. Then you can use Trados WinAlign to convert translated XLS back to TMX.

No need to use complex conversions when you use the GT engine that you pay for.
Just download and install the Okapi Rainbow free utility software for translators (http://okapi.opentag.com). You drag the TMX or xliff to the first tab, on one of the last tabs you define the languages and encodings (very important), and in the utilities menu choose Edit/Execute pipeline. In the pipeline you need to ad first the following step: Raw document to filter event, then the Leveraging step - here you define the TM or MT engine, it can be Google Translate, there are also other options, and towards the end of the Leveraging dialog there is an option to generate a tmx file.

When you have defined and added the leveraging step, add the final step Filter events to raw document, save the pipeline (that's what they call the sequence of steps in Okapi Rainbow) for future use, and you are ready to execute it.

In your CAT tool set a penalty for your MT translation memory, this will remind you to check the machine translation thoroughly and correct it when you get a match.

Regards,

Piotr Bienkowski

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Impressive Dec 27, 2014

Thank you very much, Piotr.

I've tested it and I'll forward your message to the CafeTran user with Frequent Flyer Air Miles who asked me for a solution for this task.

Very impressive stuff, this Rainbow.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate a whole TMX/XLIFF file with Google Translate in one pass?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »