Does anybody know how to translate add translations to wordpress pages?= help needed
Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
Spanish to English
Nov 22, 2015

Dear Friends,

I am looking for help into adding a plugin or some other thing where I can give viewers of my website the option to see the content in their own language.

I currently have it in English, but I want to translate the content into Spanish.

I have installed the plugin Polylang, but I do not think that this is exactly what I am looking for.

I have seen on many other sites a simple flag or [ES] which then shows the translated content.... See more
Dear Friends,

I am looking for help into adding a plugin or some other thing where I can give viewers of my website the option to see the content in their own language.

I currently have it in English, but I want to translate the content into Spanish.

I have installed the plugin Polylang, but I do not think that this is exactly what I am looking for.

I have seen on many other sites a simple flag or [ES] which then shows the translated content.

Any help much appreciated.

regards
Collapse

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Language switching widget Nov 22, 2015

It should do what you're after - have you added the "language switching widget" to your page layout? Without that, it will store multiple languages behind the scenes, but not offer any way to access them!

On the English+Croatian site I built a few years ago, we had two sets of pages - so, for example, the ".../en/news/" page had company news in English, ".../hr/novosti/" had the Croatian version; the front page auto-detected the visitor's web browser language settings and sent them
... See more
It should do what you're after - have you added the "language switching widget" to your page layout? Without that, it will store multiple languages behind the scenes, but not offer any way to access them!

On the English+Croatian site I built a few years ago, we had two sets of pages - so, for example, the ".../en/news/" page had company news in English, ".../hr/novosti/" had the Croatian version; the front page auto-detected the visitor's web browser language settings and sent them to the Croatian or English front page as appropriate.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
language switching widget Nov 22, 2015

Hi James and thanks again.

No I havent added the widget yet, I was reading about plugins, but they didnt seem to do what I wanted.
Will definetly have a look at that.

Also, how do I translate my menu/ navigation menu?

many thanks

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Hi James,
All i found was a plugin not a widget, that does that.

Any ideas.
many thanks

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

Still looking and working on it, but there are only plugins.

Themebase: generate press
Subtheme: Freelancer.

regards

Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:58
French to English
Wordpress translations Nov 22, 2015

Here is a blog I wrote in wordpress

https://louisecharente.wordpress.com/

It has a translation page. Have a look at that and see if it is what you want. I can send you the code. It uses google translate which is not the best but I don't speak all those languages.

Louise

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER

@ Louise.
Hi Louise and thank you for your reply.

It's not quite what I had in mind, what I would like to do is add a flag or [ES] at the top of my site and when they click it it shows the content of the website in their language.

Many thanks.

Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:58
French to English
Good luck Nov 22, 2015

OK Luke

Good luck finding your solution. I would like something better for my blog but this was the only way I found to do it. I will watch this thread for future ideas

Best wishes

Louise

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:58
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Polylang + widget + translations Nov 23, 2015

The way my site (link on my profile) on WP is set up, I have the Polylang plugin and a Language switcher widget. AFAIK, Polylang is mainly used to provide the framework, translations for menu items, page titles etc. The different language versions of the pages themselves have been created by adding pages via the Pages function and assigning them a language via Polylang. The translations were done by professional translators, I figured the investment would be worth it and a chance to network, at ... See more
The way my site (link on my profile) on WP is set up, I have the Polylang plugin and a Language switcher widget. AFAIK, Polylang is mainly used to provide the framework, translations for menu items, page titles etc. The different language versions of the pages themselves have been created by adding pages via the Pages function and assigning them a language via Polylang. The translations were done by professional translators, I figured the investment would be worth it and a chance to network, at the same time.
I didn't do the original Polylang setup myself, so I can't help with any of that, unfortunately. I just know how to maintain the site, add translations, etc. I warmly recommend the person who set up my site for me for a very reasonable price. You can find his link at the bottom of the page on my site.

[Edited at 2015-11-23 13:11 GMT]
Collapse

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I used the qTranslate plugin Nov 23, 2015

It took me a while to learn how to set this up and not without a few tantrums and tears along the way, but it does the job well enough most of the time: http://sabedoria.fr

You will need to check the compatability with your chosen theme. The second language version is effectively a separate page layout (a second tab when managing content). This can be fiddly, as any images and links have to be added twic
... See more
It took me a while to learn how to set this up and not without a few tantrums and tears along the way, but it does the job well enough most of the time: http://sabedoria.fr

You will need to check the compatability with your chosen theme. The second language version is effectively a separate page layout (a second tab when managing content). This can be fiddly, as any images and links have to be added twice. Certain tweaks may need to be done with the plugin disabled, then the two versions show one after the other on the same page.

The flags are in a special widget area. I really can't remember right now how I got those to work, but I found plenty of advice on the Wordpress forum. Just type your questions or search terms as precisely as possible.

There are extra HTML tags added to create bilingual labels on menus, in sidebars, etc., which qTranslate recognises and shows selectively.

[Bah - I can't illustrate this, as the tags won't show up! *le sigh*]

It all takes time, a very long time. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
language switching widget Nov 23, 2015

@Alison.
Yes this is what I have been looking for.
I will have to read up about how to set it up.

Many many thanks.

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Plugins and widgets Nov 23, 2015

It's a two step process with Polylang it seems: installing the plugin does some behind the scenes magic to enable multiple languages, and also creates a widget for switching language - then you need to edit your page layout to tell it where that widget should apply.

The terminology isn't helpful; plugins do various things, including providing new visual components (widgets) in some cases. The ProZ calendar viewer I wrote would be a plugin which provides a calendar widget (or perhaps
... See more
It's a two step process with Polylang it seems: installing the plugin does some behind the scenes magic to enable multiple languages, and also creates a widget for switching language - then you need to edit your page layout to tell it where that widget should apply.

The terminology isn't helpful; plugins do various things, including providing new visual components (widgets) in some cases. The ProZ calendar viewer I wrote would be a plugin which provides a calendar widget (or perhaps even more than one, with different versions) if I extend it to a Wordpress specific version, to avoid the manual fiddling with HTML tags to embed it.
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
[SOLVED] Nov 29, 2015

Thank you for all your help.

I used qtranslate and found instructions on how to configure and set it up on the internet.
It was quite easy to follow and simple to setup.

many thanks to all that help me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody know how to translate add translations to wordpress pages?= help needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »