Excel file, different languages not in columns, but in rows. How to count/remove one language?
Thread poster: denduvel
denduvel
denduvel
Netherlands
Local time: 19:48
Dutch to German
+ ...
Apr 23, 2018

Hi everyone,

A client of mine sent me an excel file to translate. He asked me to do a word count first.
There are already two languages in the document (Dutch Source and English Translation). I would now like to translate from Dutch to German, so I would just like to count the Dutch words. However, the individual languages are not arranged in columns (for example: Column B - Dutch Source / Column C - English Translation), but in rows (so Row 1 - Dutch Source / Row 2 - English
... See more
Hi everyone,

A client of mine sent me an excel file to translate. He asked me to do a word count first.
There are already two languages in the document (Dutch Source and English Translation). I would now like to translate from Dutch to German, so I would just like to count the Dutch words. However, the individual languages are not arranged in columns (for example: Column B - Dutch Source / Column C - English Translation), but in rows (so Row 1 - Dutch Source / Row 2 - English Translation).

Is there any way to arrange or sort the Excel file in such a way that I can remove all English translations and just have the Dutch source? After that, I could just count the Dutch source words.

I hope my question is somewhat clear..

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:48
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
A suggestion. Apr 23, 2018

Can you just copy & paste this Dutch source into another Excel file? Then you can easily count your source words?

Hoping to find better solutions among our dear colleagues.

denduvel
denduvel
Netherlands
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Apr 23, 2018

Dear Morano,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have found a way to sort all columns and rows in such a way that I was indeed able to copy and paste the Dutch source.
The problem is solved!

Thanks again for your advice!

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Google is your friend Apr 23, 2018

Is there any way to arrange or sort the Excel file in such a way that I can remove all English translations and just have the Dutch source? After that, I could just count the Dutch source words.

Google for excel + rows + columns, you'll get lots of hits.
E. g. this one: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/transpose-rotate-data-from-rows-to-columns-or-vice-versa-3419f2e3-beab-4318-aae5-d0f862209744

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Surely... Apr 23, 2018

Using your working copy of the file, you could simply delet the entire rown with the EN translation in it? Of course, if it has to remain, there's nothing to stop you deleting it and then using Ctrl+Z to undo before saving; or indeed, just close this version without saving, and re-open working the file again.

I'd have thought it was extremely awkward trying to translate in an XLS in rows; even once you've deleted the unwanted part, you might well find it helpful to use the Excel 'sw
... See more
Using your working copy of the file, you could simply delet the entire rown with the EN translation in it? Of course, if it has to remain, there's nothing to stop you deleting it and then using Ctrl+Z to undo before saving; or indeed, just close this version without saving, and re-open working the file again.

I'd have thought it was extremely awkward trying to translate in an XLS in rows; even once you've deleted the unwanted part, you might well find it helpful to use the Excel 'swap rows and columns' feature to get it into a more translation-friendly format — even if you have to swap it back again at the end to keep your customer happy!
Collapse

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:48
Russian to English
Does this help? Apr 23, 2018

https://www.wikihow.com/Select-Alternate-Rows-on-a-Spreadsheet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file, different languages not in columns, but in rows. How to count/remove one language?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »