Thread poster: Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:22
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Jun 20, 2018

Up until now I resisted the dreaded Transit, but one of my most important direct clients with whom I had been enjoying for more than ten years a (I believe) reciprocally good relationship has decided, or maybe I should say they have been very skilfully convinced, that by going the Star route they will save money, improve efficiency, bla bla bla...

Now, I've just bought a Cafetran license and I am still in my early learning phase. But, I wonder if there are CT users here who have use
... See more
Up until now I resisted the dreaded Transit, but one of my most important direct clients with whom I had been enjoying for more than ten years a (I believe) reciprocally good relationship has decided, or maybe I should say they have been very skilfully convinced, that by going the Star route they will save money, improve efficiency, bla bla bla...

Now, I've just bought a Cafetran license and I am still in my early learning phase. But, I wonder if there are CT users here who have used it to work with Transit packages recently, that is with the newest version of the software.

In other words, is CT a viable solution? I know it can handle Transit packages, but how easy/safe can completed packages be returned? Or—please be frank CT users—working directly with Transit is safer?

Many thanks

Mario
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Packages ain't supported (yet) Jun 20, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:

Now, I've just bought a Cafetran license and I am still in my early learning phase. But, I wonder if there are CT users here who have used it to work with Transit packages recently, that is with the newest version of the software.

In other words, is CT a viable solution? I know it can handle Transit packages, but how easy/safe can completed packages be returned? Or—please be frank CT users—working directly with Transit is safer?

Many thanks

Mario

CT's development is demand-driven. I was the one who requested support for Transit – and got it. But packages aren't supported yet. Instead, you have to go a route that looks complicated but actually isn't and that can be automated to a large extend. If you want full support of the Transit packages: you can always ask Igor .

Support for German and Dutch Transit language pair files is perfect. I have translated hundreds of thousands of words in Transit files with CT. I cannot comment on JA files.

See also:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000186095-translation-of-ppf-packages

http://beijer.uk/cafetran-old-wiki/cafetran.wikidot.com/transit.html

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not so complicated...maybe Jun 20, 2018

Many thanks Hans,

I don't know why, but since SDL invented it I hate the word "package"! Anyway, the manual procedure doesn't sound too complicate, but I am a bit nervous because this would be my first Transit job ever. Maybe I can find a sample package somewhere, but since this would be an EN > IT job I think I shouldn't have major problems.

Best

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Unzip? Jun 20, 2018

I believe these packages are only zip-archives. Rename as .zip, unzip, translate, save, zip, rename and you should be done. At least Studio packages are zipped.

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transit memories? Jun 20, 2018

Hi again Hans,

In the first link you provided in your reply there is no mention to Transit memories. If the client sends me a package with a TM included, can I still process it with Cafetran?

Thanks

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Route Jun 21, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:

Hi again Hans,

In the first link you provided in your reply there is no mention to Transit memories. If the client sends me a package with a TM included, can I still process it with Cafetran?

Thanks

http://beijer.uk/cafetran-old-wiki/cafetran.wikidot.com/transit.html > http://beijer.uk/cafetran-old-wiki/cafetran.wikidot.com/using-legacy-translations-in-transit-projects.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »