Andrejs Gorbunovs
Andrejs Gorbunovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:39
Member (2013)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try this! Jul 5, 2017

During slow times, apart from the advice already given above, I also use the Proz.com directory found here: Jobs & directories -> Job postings -> Applications
It can be useful to apply to a lot of companies in a short time (in past years I have found great clients this way more than once).
Good luck!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:39
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Adopt the right attitude to running your business Jul 5, 2017

You say you've lost one client, Virginie. I imagine it must have been your best client for it to have had such a devastating effect. But losing one client should never have that sort of impact on a freelancer. The whole idea of the "free" in freelancing is that we aren't dependent on any one person or organisation for our income. Indeed, it's actually illegal in France and elsewhere (for the client, fortunately) for a client to make use of our services on anything close to a full-time basis. Ins... See more
You say you've lost one client, Virginie. I imagine it must have been your best client for it to have had such a devastating effect. But losing one client should never have that sort of impact on a freelancer. The whole idea of the "free" in freelancing is that we aren't dependent on any one person or organisation for our income. Indeed, it's actually illegal in France and elsewhere (for the client, fortunately) for a client to make use of our services on anything close to a full-time basis. Instead, we're supposed to build a client base of at least a good handful of regular clients and twice that number who send us jobs on a less regular basis. Only by having that number - and preferably a far greater number - can we protect ourselves from being too dependent on any one client. Don't forget that if you're salaried, your employer has to give you notice of termination and all sorts of other benefits, whereas we often get no notice at all.

I see you've left seven entries for outsourcers on the Blue Board, and received far more WWA entries, so you've clearly been entrusted with translations in the past and been appreciated for your work. So, you're learning the above lesson the hard way, but you've been a freelancer for five years and you must have been doing some things right . It has worked for you in the past, and it can work again.

I do realise that it's natural to panic when things don't go well, and changing one's attitude is certainly easier said than done, but nevertheless you should be trying hard to do just that. Words such as the ones I've highlighted below have no place in your mind, and certainly not on paper:

Virginie Proisy wrote:
nerver experienced such a panic feling, feeling useless with a declining turnover

I am sending everywhere applications but competition is fierce between linguists and you can't overcome it!
I am just going through a nightmare!

This is all so negative, and yet you should understand that every freelancer's experiences a roller-coaster ride at times. "Feast and famine" is often quoted as being the lot of a freelancer, whatever business they're in. You've had the feast; now you've got the famine. That's normal. Now you have to get back to the feast!

On the other hand, if your life so far as a freelancer really has always been very hard and demoralising, and you feel it just isn't working, then you should consider whether you're actually cut out to be an entrepreneur. Not everyone is, and there are salaried jobs where you can use your languages without risking panic attacks. If you decide to continue, devote yourself to finding more and better clients. That means first reviewing all your marketing materials and processes, and then aggressively marketing your professional services. That means active and passive marketing, so don't neglect aspects such as networking, KudoZ, etc.

Above all, bear in mind that if you show the slightest weakness to potential clients they'll either lack confidence in you and disappear, or they'll take advantage of that weakness.
Collapse

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:39
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
With positive thoughts. Jul 5, 2017

I know what you're going through, we feel helpless before a fall, but if we leave the sadness anguished, the despair of massacring us, then that our verve is extinguished. Raise your head better than your profile. With positive thoughts.

Virginie Proisy
Virginie Proisy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:39
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Gloria Jul 6, 2017

Gloria Teixeira wrote:

I know what you're going through, we feel helpless before a fall, but if we leave the sadness anguished, the despair of massacring us, then that our verve is extinguished. Raise your head better than your profile. With positive thoughts.

I think you are right!
I will keep you updated about the way things are evolving... but keep positive is the best attitude to adopt !
I have recieved many interesting answers that have cheered me up and I am keeping doing this job being aware that there are ups and downs like in every normal business life.

I wish you all the best, you seem to be a very talented person !

Kind regards,
Virginie

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Get it right Jul 6, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

Virginie,
Your message is full of typos that you could easily prevent by simple spell checking or (even easier) by double reading your text. Maybe this is, by any chance, the reason?..

[Edited at 2017-07-04 19:15 GMT]

This was also my immediate reaction on reading the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYLaCCCBJWI

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 01:39
English to Romanian
Not only typos Jul 7, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

Virginie,
Your message is full of typos that you could easily prevent by simple spell checking or (even easier) by double reading your text. Maybe this is, by any chance, the reason?..

Not only typos, but she said she doesn't usually translate from/into English.

Anyhow, I know "the feeling she's been going through" and I'm sympathetic.

Virginie, there is a long list of companies - possibly, clients - here on proz.com. Use your language pair(s) to filter it and send your application (offre de services) to those companies - if you haven't already done it. Do the same for the other job portal (I believe I cannot name it here). Best of luck!

[Edited at 2017-07-07 20:40 GMT]

Corbett AM
Corbett AM  Identity Verified
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
Many people commit typos, even in their own language, when they are writing in a panic ... Nov 3, 2017

neilmac wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

Virginie,

This was also my immediate reaction on reading the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYLaCCCBJWI

... or otherwise in a rush (maybe if you're sending a text message and you're in a rush combined with 'fat thumb syndrome'). She didn't post to have her English critiqued. I'm betting her English is better when she is communicating in English with her client(s) on translation issues.

Virginie, if you really like freelance translation work and understand, as you said elsewhere, that it has its ups and downs don't let one client get you down and, as Sheila and others have said, don't put all your eggs in that one (client's) basket.

Good luck!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Stand back Nov 4, 2017

When loosing a client you should stand back, as they may kick you with their hind legs

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
French to English
+ ...
I never noticed this feature before Nov 4, 2017

Andrejs Gorbunovs wrote:

During slow times, apart from the advice already given above, I also use the Proz.com directory found here: Jobs & directories -> Job postings -> Applications
It can be useful to apply to a lot of companies in a short time (in past years I have found great clients this way more than once).
Good luck!

Thanks for posting it. It looks like a useful feature, however it really should include dates. I just sent an application to one company before realizing they hadn't posted any jobs since... 2010. Get it right, ProZ!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
How come? Nov 4, 2017

I'm not going to make sarcastic comments about your English since it isn't a target language.
However I think it is very important to learn from losses like this. Do you know why you have lost this client? Of course it could just be that they are ceasing business or something like that, but if there were quality issues, it's worth finding out about and acting upon.
Are you even sure the client is lost? If it's an agency, it might simply be that some project managers have left, and t
... See more
I'm not going to make sarcastic comments about your English since it isn't a target language.
However I think it is very important to learn from losses like this. Do you know why you have lost this client? Of course it could just be that they are ceasing business or something like that, but if there were quality issues, it's worth finding out about and acting upon.
Are you even sure the client is lost? If it's an agency, it might simply be that some project managers have left, and the new ones don't know you or haven't come across you, because your entry in their database is perhaps not complete. It's maybe worth contacting them again to see what's going on? Maybe just send an e-mail to let them know that you're available for work, with a reminder of the type of project they used to send you? Or maybe they've started working with a CAT tool you don't have, in which case it might be worthwhile to consider investing.

Even in the best-case scenario where they've simply forgotten about you and a gentle reminder suffices to get work from them again, it would pay to keep looking for other new clients so that if ever you drop off the radar again it's not too much of a problem.

There's an agency that sends me a fair amount of work, and I realised that in fact I'm probably somewhat too reliant on their jobs (which are mostly very interesting or at least easy). So on Monday I shall be off at a trade fair in one of my fields having pinpointed the exhibitors who are likely to want to need translations. As the cliché introvert translator, this is something I loathe doing, however I have noticed that when people have actually met you, they are more likely to want to work with you.

Also, always have a business card on you when at parties and so on. My latest client is someone I met simply because I let our neighbour have a party at our place. I was just being polite, the gracious hostess, for these people who had turned up and didn't seem to know anybody, and one of them asked me what I did for a living (no doubt trying to be polite too). When I said I was a translator, they immediately said "we've been looking for a translator". It so happened that they work in one of my speciality fields, and I just mentioned a few firms I had translated for, and talked a little of the lengths I'll go to in order to find the right word, and a few days later they sent me a little job.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Dust yourself down and move on Nov 4, 2017

Which is easier said than done, I know. We all like to avoid having one big client, but we are all happy when the money comes in. If you have one big job that is ongoing, or a client who gives lots of jobs, it is quite reassuring. It is sometimes difficult to avoid but it can be dangerous. So, it is always good to keep a few other clients going in the background, even just by doing occasional work for them, so they don't forget you are there.

I sometimes work with one or two clients
... See more
Which is easier said than done, I know. We all like to avoid having one big client, but we are all happy when the money comes in. If you have one big job that is ongoing, or a client who gives lots of jobs, it is quite reassuring. It is sometimes difficult to avoid but it can be dangerous. So, it is always good to keep a few other clients going in the background, even just by doing occasional work for them, so they don't forget you are there.

I sometimes work with one or two clients over a certain period of time on a lengthy project. It is nice when that happens. It means income is a little steadier and I have more visibility. That is happening less now, as the type of work I was doing involves a field that is changing. I am having to back myself up with agency work and some short writing missions. Diversification, still language, but avoiding putting my eggs in one basket.

Having more time can mean using the extra time to learn new skills. But learning does not pay the bills immediately, so it can be helpful to have other sources of income, other clients. Agencies are hardly paying much better than 20 years ago. I'm pretty disappointed by the rates. It's bad news. However, there are some reliable agencies out there. It is nice to know that the money is coming in at the end of the month. Also, I do work with clients outside of France sometimes too. It comes and goes, but the rates are so much better. The disadvantage is that should the client default on payment, recovery is more difficult and more expensive. Again, yes, but not exclusively.

[Edited at 2017-11-04 22:51 GMT]
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
have your profile, letters and CV checked Nov 9, 2017

Hi Virginie,

I hope you have acquired some new clients since your first post and the panic has subsided a bit!
I just had a look at your profile and CV and think it may be worthwhile to ask someone for a few tips; apart from a couple of typos (personnaly, violon), I think there are ways to emphasise your relevant experience and qualities, so that you come across more like a confident, experienced professional people want to work with.
Good luck!

[edit: remov
... See more
Hi Virginie,

I hope you have acquired some new clients since your first post and the panic has subsided a bit!
I just had a look at your profile and CV and think it may be worthwhile to ask someone for a few tips; apart from a couple of typos (personnaly, violon), I think there are ways to emphasise your relevant experience and qualities, so that you come across more like a confident, experienced professional people want to work with.
Good luck!

[edit: removed a typo]

[Edited at 2017-11-09 12:51 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when you loose a big client

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »