"Mansplaining" makes its way into 33 other languages

This discussion belongs to Translation news » ""Mansplaining" makes its way into 33 other languages".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 11:16
English to German
Momsplaining Apr 5, 2017

My mother does it all the time, too.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Mine used to, too, Apr 5, 2017

but typically men do that. My husband has very little education, but he will pick up something he heard somewhere (even if it's complete nonsense) and hammer it to me.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Momsplaining Apr 5, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

My mother does it all the time, too.

Hahahahah, Ricki! You win the Internet today!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Typically? 😏 Apr 5, 2017

EvaVer wrote:

but typically men do that. My husband has very little education, but he will pick up something he heard somewhere (even if it's complete nonsense) and hammer it to me.

This reminds me the “People are…” statements I hear or read, simple generalizations about the other we don't like but which reflect a truth about ourselves.

For example, if I'm driving down the road and someone gets in front of me without signaling, I would tend to say “[some] people don't know how to change lanes!” all huffy and puffy. In reality, I sometimes do the same thing. Amazing!

Same with this feel-good, it's-someone-else's-fault neologism, mansplaining, to project our frustrations onto the opposite gender (or sex) when we (some women, not all) feel talked down, interrupted, condescended or otherwise rolled over by some unfounded, silly or unsupported explanation or jabbering.

😇 🤓

Full disclosure: I'm a man, so you could say I'm “mansplaining” my point. 😅

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
"Momsplaining"...that's hilarious!! Apr 5, 2017

If one pays more attention, "mansPLAINing" actually means "man being so plain (insignificant) that needs to validate his unsolicited opinion shutting up a woman more competent than him".

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Research... Apr 5, 2017

Research showed that...

Well, that one has no gender; both men and women use it. Most of the time there is no research at all.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A live one Apr 5, 2017

How one woman (and two men, admittedly) deal with it when it happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcAqR-Hs9II

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Mansplaining" makes its way into 33 other languages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »