Ideas for Web Subtitling App
Thread poster: pck
pck
pck
Hungary
Apr 26, 2017

Hi!

I am a full-time webdeveloper and I also make subtitles as a paid hobby / part-time job. I usually use Subtitle Workshop for my projects, though I've written a small application for myself for some functions, that I couldn't do with SW (like only shift the begin time of the subtitles, not the begin and end as well, it's useful when you do spotting).
I'm gathering ideas for my new project, which would be a Web application with Subtitling services. I'm not planning to make a
... See more
Hi!

I am a full-time webdeveloper and I also make subtitles as a paid hobby / part-time job. I usually use Subtitle Workshop for my projects, though I've written a small application for myself for some functions, that I couldn't do with SW (like only shift the begin time of the subtitles, not the begin and end as well, it's useful when you do spotting).
I'm gathering ideas for my new project, which would be a Web application with Subtitling services. I'm not planning to make a web version of Subtitle Workshop, I would just like to create an application to improve the process of subtitling.
So what processes do you think could be more automatized or you think could be useful for your work?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:14
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Apr 26, 2017

The web tool you are planning to develop won't be used by many people (if at all), unless it is otherworldly fantastic. Here are the reasons:

1. For the subtitler, there are no upsides to working in an online subtitling tool, as opposed to an offline tool. It's the same thing but with an additional requirement of having a fast internet connection (because working with sizeable videos online requires at least 10 Mbps). Using Occam's principle, people opt for offline solutions.
... See more
The web tool you are planning to develop won't be used by many people (if at all), unless it is otherworldly fantastic. Here are the reasons:

1. For the subtitler, there are no upsides to working in an online subtitling tool, as opposed to an offline tool. It's the same thing but with an additional requirement of having a fast internet connection (because working with sizeable videos online requires at least 10 Mbps). Using Occam's principle, people opt for offline solutions.

2. There is no guarantee that you are not storing users' video/text assets somewhere, so there is a confidentiality issue here. Subtitling agencies won't let their freelance vendors use your tool.

3. Free web tools for subtitling already exist. Here's an example: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/Online

4. The offline solutions are vastly more powerful and feature-rich due to the nature of programming online interfaces.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

pck
pck
Hungary
TOPIC STARTER
Platform changes Apr 26, 2017

Yes, you are totally right!

It could also be a desktop application, there's no problem with that. Apart from the platform, I'd be really curious about the requested features that would assist in your daily work.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 17:14
Estonian to English
+ ...
issues Apr 28, 2017

Free subtitling software already exists but there is one thing that none of them can do and that all professional software solutions can - the ability to move the video frame by frame in order to choose the starting/end point of subtitles exactly. The software should also be capable of finding scene cuts in the video file.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 16:14
English to Polish
+ ...
Not exactly true Apr 29, 2017

jbjb wrote:

Free subtitling software already exists but there is one thing that none of them can do and that all professional software solutions can - the ability to move the video frame by frame in order to choose the starting/end point of subtitles exactly. The software should also be capable of finding scene cuts in the video file.

Well, there is one software that can do it. Namely Subtitle Edit.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ideas for Web Subtitling App

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »