Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
any similar experiencies with a selection process?
Thread poster: Mercedes Fatas
Mercedes Fatas
Mercedes Fatas  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
English to Spanish
Aug 22, 2016

Hi there,
Anyone going through the "selection" process to work for an Entertainment company? I responded to a generic job looking for for subtitling translators/proofreaders posted in another directory, but something tells me that it may not be a good idea to go on. Shortly after sending my cv, they replied and sent me an application form including technical questions about my computer capabilities and info on my experience in subtitling. I have none and so I responded. But even so, I have
... See more
Hi there,
Anyone going through the "selection" process to work for an Entertainment company? I responded to a generic job looking for for subtitling translators/proofreaders posted in another directory, but something tells me that it may not be a good idea to go on. Shortly after sending my cv, they replied and sent me an application form including technical questions about my computer capabilities and info on my experience in subtitling. I have none and so I responded. But even so, I have now been asked to set a date and exact time for them to send me a 4-hour profiency test to be completed at the exact date and time you say. They also ask to accept their rates, which as far as I know, are quite low.
Does it ring a bell?? Any one has gone through this? Any feedback would be most welcome as I need to decide whether to go through the proficiency test or not.
Thanks in advance!
Have a nice day!
Collapse

Maksimoff
Maksimoff  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you mean movie subtitling for a major movie streaming service Aug 22, 2016

via a company that offers totally automated subtitle translation and editing system?

Then I might have a word or two to comment

Mercedes Fatas
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
mmm... not sure Aug 22, 2016

According to their web page, this company provides a wide range of services to the film industry,from front-end services through post-production and distribution, including the majority of film prints worldwide.
They don't mention translation services

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Questions to help you answer your own question Aug 22, 2016

Do you want to work for their rate?
How can you complete their test in time if you are not proficient in the software to be used?
Do they provide the software or must you invest?
Why are they testing you when you have told them you have no computer capabilities or experience?

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
selection Aug 22, 2016

Yes, it is typical for major companies to have one rate per language (or usually language group). Translators have the choice of accepting the rate or not, it is not for negotiating. There is no differentiation between translators to keep things simple - also because the rate is low enough.

Proficiency tests are very common (although not usually 4 hours). As they usually do not expect previous experience, they just want to make sure the test is done by the person who is applying. Th
... See more
Yes, it is typical for major companies to have one rate per language (or usually language group). Translators have the choice of accepting the rate or not, it is not for negotiating. There is no differentiation between translators to keep things simple - also because the rate is low enough.

Proficiency tests are very common (although not usually 4 hours). As they usually do not expect previous experience, they just want to make sure the test is done by the person who is applying. The selection process is not tedious - they just let a number of people do the test and pick the best from the bunch. If they can actually do the work is something that will become clear during the translation of actual projects and feedback from proofreaders.

You just have to think if the rate is lucrative for you or not. There is usually no chance of the rate ever moving up, the only possible movement is downwards (rates in subtitling have been falling since 1990s).

You are never expected to pay for subtitling software.
Collapse

Luciana Jesus
Luciana Jesus  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I know what your are talking about Aug 22, 2016

I know which company you are talking about Mercedes. I refused to complete their endless application form and to take their 4 hour test as they would not discuss rates before I send the form. I asked if they agree with my rates and they said they would discuss it just after evaluating the form. Why did they ask for a CV then? After checking their BB, I decided it was a waste of time. I am curious though to know what rate they offer. Does anyone know? I guess it is pretty low...

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
if they won't say, that means it's bad Aug 23, 2016

a while back, there was a guy running an agency who expected me to work for free in-house for a couple of days before discussing the salary he'd be prepared to pay. I have never walked away so quickly from a job.

And when their new hire didn't work out, they had the cheek to contact me again as if I had never gone for an interview. I spelled out why I had no intention of ever working for them and luckily have been left alone ever since.
Presumably there are people who are de
... See more
a while back, there was a guy running an agency who expected me to work for free in-house for a couple of days before discussing the salary he'd be prepared to pay. I have never walked away so quickly from a job.

And when their new hire didn't work out, they had the cheek to contact me again as if I had never gone for an interview. I spelled out why I had no intention of ever working for them and luckily have been left alone ever since.
Presumably there are people who are desperate enough accept such conditions. I count myself lucky that it is not the case for me.
Collapse

InForTheQuill
InForTheQuill
France
English to French
Oh, *that* company... Aug 24, 2016

I got worried when these guys refused to talk about rates. They told me they would tell me the rate once I'll have signed about 459 documents (confidentiality agreement, working conditions agreement, sell-your-soul-to-the-devil-agreement, etc.) and taken a 4-hour test. "Rates depend on the translator's profile", was the argument. So I asked for their billing grid... no answer either, so I decided to stop there.

Luciana Jesus wrote:

I am curious though to know what rate they offer.

Same here. Does anyone know?

[Edited at 2016-08-24 15:28 GMT]

Mercedes Fatas
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 24, 2016

Thank you all for your very useful comments.
FYI, their rates:
· Translation: $2.25 USD per minute of runtime
· Proofreading: $0.40 USD per minute of runtime

Tr Domnica
Tr Domnica
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
I am in the same situation Aug 24, 2016

Hi there,

I am in the same situation as you are and I don't know what to do next.
I am also new here on Proz so I would really need an advice.

Thanks.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
easy Aug 26, 2016

Easy - think about the rate and either accept it or not. They are not going to pay more, there's no "translator profile", they have the same rate for basically all European languages. It's not hard to get the work, they accept anyone who goes through the process and accepts the rate (and doesn't make a million mistakes in the test). What you can expect is very short deadlines and mostly Netflix-oriented work.

Isabel Lopez
Isabel Lopez
Mexico
Local time: 08:27
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
I'm going through their selection process but I'm having second thoughts Sep 29, 2016

Hi everyone! I'm guessing you're talking about Deluxe Entertainment. I recently contacted them after seeing their ad with promising rates. Obviously those rates are only to caught your attention and get you to apply. I did take the proficiency test and they sent me an email a couple of days later saying that I've passed the test and asking if I agree with their rates "- Translation: 1.25 USD per minute of runtime - Proofreading: 0.20 USD per minute of runtime."
I know these rates are v
... See more
Hi everyone! I'm guessing you're talking about Deluxe Entertainment. I recently contacted them after seeing their ad with promising rates. Obviously those rates are only to caught your attention and get you to apply. I did take the proficiency test and they sent me an email a couple of days later saying that I've passed the test and asking if I agree with their rates "- Translation: 1.25 USD per minute of runtime - Proofreading: 0.20 USD per minute of runtime."
I know these rates are very low, but I want to start in the subtitling business, so I thought it would be good to start with a big company, regardless of the rates. But then, they ask you to work on their software, which only runs on Windows. I have a mac, so I've been reading a lot about hard disk partition and I was ready to install Windows on my Mac. But this is a lot of work, and I started wondering if it's worth it. Then I started looking for reviews of the company on Internet and there are a lot of commentaries about how long it takes them to pay (up to three months). They sent me a lot of instructions and manual explaining their process, and the payment process does seem very complicated.

So now i'm having second thoughts. Is there anyone here who has been working with them for a while and can give us some real insight?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
LOL! Sep 30, 2016

InForTheQuill wrote:
"Rates depend on the translator's profile", was the argument.

Low-payers always say that rates depend on the translator's capabilities, which ultimately means that they pay so little that they cannot afford top translators and try to convince everyone to work for peanuts.

Slobodan Kozarčić
Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2016)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Deluxe Media from Bangalore, India? Oct 1, 2016

Mercedes Fatas wrote:

Hi there,
Anyone going through the "selection" process to work for an Entertainment company?

[Edited at 2016-10-01 13:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-01 13:25 GMT]

Mala Ferns
Mala Ferns  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:57
Member (2016)
English to Gujarati
+ ...
I have passed proficiency test of Delux media Oct 20, 2016

I got mail today that I have passed proficiency test where I have not cover 15% translation due to lack of time.

I am also having second thought what is going on? Should I sign the agreement or not. This question of my mind lead me to find reviews on Proz memebers about this company.

After reading all reviews I am also thinking what to do now.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

any similar experiencies with a selection process?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »