Netherlands
Local time: 10:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On rationalisation Jun 24, 2014

John Fossey wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The most amazing thing about people doing stuff that they shouldn't is that they usually find a way to justify it to themselves.

[In one prison study,] not one imprisoned criminal believed that what they had done was wrong and that they deserved their punishment. Such is the power of rationalization.

Here's a nice list of rationalisations that I came across:
http://ethicsalarms.com/rule-book/unethical-rationalizations-and-misconceptions/
It's an eye-opener, particilarly if one is willing to be a little honest with oneself.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:17
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
People rationalise almost anything Jun 24, 2014

John Fossey wrote:
A prison psychologist once did a survey to find out how many prisoners felt that they had been justly imprisoned.
The result was none. Everyone had a rationalization that justified themselves. Either their crime was justified or their conviction was unjustified.

And this applies not only to people who commit crimes but also those who simply make mistakes. Mistakes Were Made (but Not By Me) is an illuminating read.

[Edited at 2014-06-24 09:37 GMT]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Beg, borrow or buy Jun 24, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Giles Watson wrote:
If the customer requires me to deliver the translation in a specific format, it is up to me to find some way to comply or lose the job to a competitor who can deliver the product the customer actually needs.

Clearly if the customer requires a format you cannot really work with legally, you should not accept the job.

When someone uses pirated software to provide a service they really can't afford to provide, they are not only acting illegally, but they are also being plain unfair to other colleagues who have paid for the tool and contribute to its development.

Obviously, Tomás.

If you need a piece of software you can't afford, that doesn't mean you can steal it!

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another no here Jun 24, 2014

Hi Emma,

An interesting topic! I don't use pirated software for all the reasons you list on your blog. In fact it is quite relevant to me at the moment, as I've just upgraded to a new computer with all the latest non-pirated software at considerable expense. But although it seems like a lot of money, it's a sound business investment and one I'm sure I won't regret.

The upgrade process and transferring everything over was made a lot easier thanks to the tips on yo
... See more
Hi Emma,

An interesting topic! I don't use pirated software for all the reasons you list on your blog. In fact it is quite relevant to me at the moment, as I've just upgraded to a new computer with all the latest non-pirated software at considerable expense. But although it seems like a lot of money, it's a sound business investment and one I'm sure I won't regret.

The upgrade process and transferring everything over was made a lot easier thanks to the tips on your blog too, so thanks for that! Trados started working without a hitch, much to my relief...

Cheers,

Becky.
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
No Jun 24, 2014

For the simple reason that tax audits in Austria can include a check on the software on your computer.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Not knowingly, but... Jun 24, 2014

Are you all so good at computers that you install all your software yourselves? I have a provider for that, and I just must believe that he does the right thing. My Windows, MS Office and Wordfast are legal, but are so all the little bits of software in my computer? I have no idea.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
The "agencies demand it" and the "too expensive" arguments ... Jun 24, 2014

If one wants to work as a taxi driver but owns no car. Shall he or she steal a car? Intellectual property is property is property.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
Analogies Jun 24, 2014

Dan Lucas wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:
But I will just say that the purchasing power of a working adult is very different from that of a student.

Which is why students, for example, cannot usually afford to spend hundreds of dollars dining out at expensive restaurants. So would it be acceptable for a student to steal the food from the restaurant, perhaps by eating a meal and then running away before the bill comes? Or should the student simply not dine out at places he cannot afford?

Surely the appropriate response is to say to oneself "I can't afford that now, but I'll work hard and work smart and one day I will eat at that restaurant".

Sure. What do you propose that the student who cannot afford Microsoft Windows do?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Does not convince me Jun 24, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:
Sure. What do you propose that the student who cannot afford Microsoft Windows do?

Microsoft offer student versions that cost about 1/3 of the normal price. I have seen all sorts of people say that they will use a pirated operating system or a pirated Microsoft Office "because they cannot afford it", but when they buy their new laptop they buy an expensive version with its fair share of bells and whistles.

The reason why they do not use pirated hardware is that quite simply they cannot copy the hardware too in the comfort of their homes. However, a computer is made up of hardware and software, and you should buy both things within the scope of your available budget.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Students don't need expensive premium software Jun 24, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:
What do you propose that the student who cannot afford Microsoft Windows do?

(1) There are student licenses from Microsoft.
(2) When you buy a PC or laptop with pre-installed Windows, the extra charge is about 20 bucks.
(3) Most students don't need Windows at all. They can use a free solution, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

(1) & (2) might be unavailable in certain countries, though.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Exactly Jun 24, 2014

Rolf Keller wrote:
Lincoln Hui wrote:
What do you propose that the student who cannot afford Microsoft Windows do?

(1) There are student licenses from Microsoft.
(2) When you buy a PC or laptop with pre-installed Windows, the extra charge is about 20 bucks.
(3) Most students don't need Windows at all. They can use a free solution, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
(1) & (2) might be unavailable in certain countries, though.

Thank you for saying exactly what I was going to say.

If you really can't afford Windows - and let's be honest it's bundled with most PCs - then use Linux. I have Linux on a laptop and it works fine. If you need Windows applications on Linux, try Wine.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
no one ever got anywhere by playing by ALL of the rules Jun 24, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:
But I will just say that the purchasing power of a working adult is very different from that of a student.

Which is why students, for example, cannot usually afford to spend hundreds of dollars dining out at expensive restaurants. So would it be acceptable for a student to steal the food from the restaurant, perhaps by eating a meal and then running away before the bill comes? Or should the student simply not dine out at places he cannot afford?

Surely the appropriate response is to say to oneself "I can't afford that now, but I'll work hard and work smart and one day I will eat at that restaurant".

I agree with Lui. My advice to students would be: no one ever got anywhere by playing by all of the rules. Does anyone honestly think that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs played by all the rules, and got where they got? Think again.

Michael

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Playing by the rules Jun 24, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

I agree with Lui. My advice to students would be: no one ever got anywhere by playing by all of the rules. Does anyone honestly think that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs played by all the rules, and got where they got? Think again.

Michael

Games have rules; theft is a crime.

We can all admire the ingenious rule-bender who manages to beat the system but would you do business with a proven thief? Deliberately breaking the law when you think you can get away with it is not a great way to inspire trust in prospective business partners.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
No, I don't Jun 24, 2014

Not only I don’t use pirated software: I also pay for shareware software (if I find it useful – otherwise I uninstall it), contribute to the tip jar of freeware programs (again, if I find them useful), and have *asked* to pay for certain very useful freeware programs: before Xbench became a commercial program I offered for years to pay for it as soon as ApSIC decided to charge for it. And as soon as they did, I paid for a multi-year subscription.

I’d like to add that I find it
... See more
Not only I don’t use pirated software: I also pay for shareware software (if I find it useful – otherwise I uninstall it), contribute to the tip jar of freeware programs (again, if I find them useful), and have *asked* to pay for certain very useful freeware programs: before Xbench became a commercial program I offered for years to pay for it as soon as ApSIC decided to charge for it. And as soon as they did, I paid for a multi-year subscription.

I’d like to add that I find it amazing that professional translators would think that a USD 700 license (equivalent to maybe two days of earnings for a moderately successful translator) is “too expensive”.

Before saying so, I think that translators should compare the cost of setting up shop in our profession to the cost of doing so for other professionals.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster's request
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use pirated software?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »