Johanna Liljenzin
Johanna Liljenzin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:57
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Massive problems with the new SR1 Jul 26, 2017

I installed the new service back an hour ago and was quite excited to try out the new features.

However, the new service pack has slowed down the translation process to the point where it is almost unbearable. For some reason, Trados now keeps copying the text form the source to the active translation segment, even though I have this option turned off. I tried deactivating the "LookAhead" feature, but that doesn't help either. I also have problems copying and pasting text between s
... See more
I installed the new service back an hour ago and was quite excited to try out the new features.

However, the new service pack has slowed down the translation process to the point where it is almost unbearable. For some reason, Trados now keeps copying the text form the source to the active translation segment, even though I have this option turned off. I tried deactivating the "LookAhead" feature, but that doesn't help either. I also have problems copying and pasting text between segments (ctrl+c and ctrl+v doesn't seem to work (nor cmd+c or cmd+v which we would normally use on a mac)).

Also, if I do a "search and replace" to change words in already confirmed segments, the sentences I replace words in revert to the source language (!), and then Trados freezes up.

Is it possible to roll back to the previous version - I have quite a bit of work that I need to get through today, but I won't be able to meet my deadline at this snail pace?

Johanna

[Edited at 2017-07-26 11:30 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Look Ahead explained Jul 26, 2017

OK, I think we need to clarify how Look Ahead works, especially that I also suggested this feature on ideas.sdl.com (not taking any credit, though, they might have been developing it long before ;D) <... See more
OK, I think we need to clarify how Look Ahead works, especially that I also suggested this feature on ideas.sdl.com (not taking any credit, though, they might have been developing it long before ;D) https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/translation-productivity-ideas/i/trados-studio-ideas/process-the-following-segment-in-the-background-while-the-translator-is-editing-the-current-one

Look Ahead is a nice feature, which speeds up the whole translation process, by processing in the background the segments you are about to translate, while you are working on a current segment.
My suggestion on ideas.sdl.com was to process only the following segment, rather than all the segments in the document, but it seems like sdl have taken a different approach.

At that time, the idea seemed simply perfect. When moving to the next segment, all the results are there, ready for you and you don't have to wait several seconds, especially when you have several large TMs and MTs in the project.

However, Daniel from SDL pointed out that they were considering implementing it, but there might be some problems that will emerge in the process. In short, since Look Ahead processes the segments "ahead", it can't get your immediate fuzzy matches, namely those ones that are based on your translation done in the previous segment, because at the time it was processing the document, the translation did not exist.

I think there might be a nifty way to deal with this problem in the future. Here's my idea.
I suppose that when creating a new project, most of us use at least TWO translation memories. One Big Mama, which is used ONLY as reference (Concordance and TM lookups), and one initially empty TM, where new segments are stored. Now, if we were able to tell Studio, which TMs can be used for Look Ahead (Big Mama) and which NOT (the small project TM), then the problem would be solved.

Studio can do lookups in small TMs very quickly, but it needs time for Big Mamas. Hence, enabling Look Ahead for the latter and disabling it for the former, would do the trick! In this way, we would kill two birds with one stone!

What do you think?

[Edited at 2017-07-26 14:25 GMT]
Collapse

Stefan Pooth
Stefan Pooth
Germany
Can't access my AdaptiveMT engine Jul 26, 2017

SR1 won't let me select my personal AdaptiveMT engine. It is listed in the Manage Adaptive Engines window, but the list of engines I can select for a project only contains the Baseline engine. Never experienced this problem before upgrading to SR1. I use a free subscription. Ideas anyone?

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:57
Member (2008)
English to French
Ditto Jul 26, 2017

Stefan Pooth wrote:

SR1 won't let me select my personal AdaptiveMT engine. It is listed in the Manage Adaptive Engines window, but the list of engines I can select for a project only contains the Baseline engine. Never experienced this problem before upgrading to SR1. I use a free subscription. Ideas anyone?

Same thing - I put in a support request. They answered same day asking me to log in & out of LC which I did and whether I was certain I was using the right language pair (never matter that I just have the one). So I pulled some text from TMZ (first site I could think of) to create an sdlxliff and took 2 screenshots and sent them along.

I think it has something to do with language variants - when LC launched it didn't support variants the first week or two - something must have been inadvertently reset.

Will update as this unfolds...

Koshinokinsho
Koshinokinsho  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:57
Japanese to English
Termbase Additions Not Showing Up Jul 27, 2017

Since installing SR1 yesterday, I'm finding that additions that I make to the termbase in the xliff I'm working on don't show up in the term recognition window. They do show up if I close and reopen the file (or at least, if I close and reopen Studio itself), but that's not terribly practical in a long document that might have a lot of terms to add in the course of translating it. This wasn't a problem prior to installing SR1.

***EDIT***

Encountering the issue again thi
... See more
Since installing SR1 yesterday, I'm finding that additions that I make to the termbase in the xliff I'm working on don't show up in the term recognition window. They do show up if I close and reopen the file (or at least, if I close and reopen Studio itself), but that's not terribly practical in a long document that might have a lot of terms to add in the course of translating it. This wasn't a problem prior to installing SR1.

***EDIT***

Encountering the issue again this morning, I think I see what the issue actually is - it's probably down to the Look Ahead function. The term doesn't show up in the term recognition window for segments within 2 of the original addition, but does further down the document. So, it's a minor inconvenience, but not the big problem that I thought it was. I'll leave the post here in case anyone else comes looking for information about this phenomenon.

[Edited at 2017-07-27 22:16 GMT]
Collapse

Stefan Pooth
Stefan Pooth
Germany
Workaround Jul 28, 2017

Arianne Farah wrote:

I think it has something to do with language variants - when LC launched it didn't support variants the first week or two - something must have been inadvertently reset.

Thanks, Arianne. Your comment has led me to find a workaround. For whatever reason, my MT engine is identified as US English, while my TMs and source documents are UK English, which seems to create a compatibility issue in SR1. So I tried using AnyTM with US English as source language, and it works.

Still I think this problem needs an urgent fix.

Anders Dalström
Anders Dalström
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 29, 2017

Experiencing the same issue. Good to see it seems to be only a minor glitch. Still something that should be fixed.

Also, I'm wondering about the LookAhead thing. Is this all "behind the scenes" or is there actually a box to tick, etc? Have had a look around and can't see anything about it in the various menus.

Koshinokinsho wrote:

***EDIT***

Encountering the issue again this morning, I think I see what the issue actually is - it's probably down to the Look Ahead function. The term doesn't show up in the term recognition window for segments within 2 of the original addition, but does further down the document. So, it's a minor inconvenience, but not the big problem that I thought it was. I'll leave the post here in case anyone else comes looking for information about this phenomenon.

[Edited at 2017-07-27 22:16 GMT]

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:57
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Thanks, Emma! Aug 21, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Pavel Slama wrote:

So how does one pop in the unrepaired fuzzy matches?

With the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+U

This and other features are covered in my blog post on SR1:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2017/07/26/studio-2017-sr1/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 SR1 Yay!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »