Trados Studio: TAG changes on TTX Import/Export
Thread poster: Kai Fiebach (Dipl.Ing.)
Kai Fiebach (Dipl.Ing.)
Kai Fiebach (Dipl.Ing.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:38
English to German
Feb 9, 2010

I found that Trados Studio occasionally changes certain tags on TTX Import/Export from/to SDL TagEditor. SDL support says that this is not a bug. However, I find this irritating, and here is the essential conversation with SDL for people who also might be affected:

Reference No.: INC000000026899
Summary: TAG damage on TTX Import/Export
Kai Fiebach wrote:
While most TTX files work nicely in SDL Trados Studio 2009,
it looks as if certain TAGs can be damaged on import.
Please find a zip file with a sample attached, zip content...

Tag damage example:
Original: ...DisplayText="pageNum"...
Studio: ...DisplayText="crossreftype"...
Trados TagEditor 7.5.0.756 (Trados 2006) works nicely.
Trados TagEditor 8.3.0.863 (Trados 2007) works nicely.
Only Trados Studio (Trados 2009) damages this TTX file.

SDL wrote:
I just spoke to someone from our development and he confirmed me that this is not a bug in Studio. Studio 2009 only changes the display text inside the tags but not the related references. If you use the the "Complete Tag Text" option in TagEditor, you can see, that the tags are still the same (see attached screenshots; you can download them in your support portal). Also when you look at your winmerge picture you will notice, that only the displaytext has changed but not the more important following reference. Have you or your agency tried to save the ttx file as inx file. There shouldn't be a problem with this file.

Kai Fiebach wrote:
Thanks, it's good to know that the modifications SDL Studio does to some TXX files are not serious. However, I still do not understand why these modifications should be necessary. I still consider any unwanted and undocumented changes done to the TTX files by Studio as a bug. This way I am forced to use the old TagEditor for being able to keep ALL original tags.

SDL wrote:
I assume you have been able to save the file back as correct target file. This indicates, that the Tags aren't different, only the displayed text is different (which shouldn't make any differences if you expand the tags in TagEditor/Studio. The reason of these differences is the way Studio handles TTX files (the filter is working differently then the one in TagEditor). If your clients asks about the differences, you can tell them to expand the Tags to the maximum size, then they will be able to see that there are no differences between the tags.

With the last response SDL closed the case.
And I am using TagEditor again for TTX jobs instead of Studio...

PMz
PMz
And what is the problem? Feb 11, 2010

Kai Fiebach (Dipl.Ing.) wrote:

With the last response SDL closed the case.
And I am using TagEditor again for TTX jobs instead of Studio...

Hi,
AFAIK the display text value is just a shortened variant of full tag content. For example in HTML you have:

<span style="mystyle">

the display text will be set to

span

For saving as target, tag content, not display text value is used. Analyze, Translate or Perfect Match are not using tag content at all.

So the problem is just cosmetic and you should not be afraid - no reason to return to ancient TagEditor.

Regards

[Edited at 2010-02-11 12:05 GMT]

Kai Fiebach (Dipl.Ing.)
Kai Fiebach (Dipl.Ing.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:38
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
clients rights Feb 12, 2010

No. If clients are sending me TTX files for translation they trust me that I will not fiddle with the tag structure. As long as Studio is not able to handle ALL TTX files equally well as TagEditor and occasionally changes the tag structure, I have to use TagEditor to protect my TTX clients.

[Edited at 2010-02-12 05:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio: TAG changes on TTX Import/Export

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »