Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:06
German to English
+ ...
What the ... Dec 16, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Henry:

1. Proz.com does not have my permission to show my name and postal address in this new "feature" - even if it is only visible to me. Please remove this information immediately and confirm that you have done so.

2. My profile completeness has been reduced from 100% to 56%. Please explain why.

I await your replies.

[Edited at 2016-12-16 08:45 GMT]

I checked my profile settings and - surprise! - my profile completeness has been reduced to 56%, too. I start to wonder what have I paid 50 bucks for. I have no time and no wish to watch long tutorials as I am in translation business for more than 20 years; I would not touch TM-Town or whatever its name with a barge pole, I have no personal web page and no wish to have one or participate in bragging about my clients and projects. My identity has been verified by PayPal but I have no objections against proz verifying the data.
My question to Proz staff: what the [redacted] is going on right now?

[Edited at 2016-12-16 19:34 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Changed Dec 16, 2016

Hi Maija

After you quoted from my post, I edited it. Nevertheless your observations remain valid and I agree with them. I don't think Henry quite realises that we busy translators do not spend a lot of time checking our Proz profiles, if we ever do.

[Edited at 2016-12-16 09:17 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I made my decision based on "I'd get the same service as before if I choose standard membership" Dec 16, 2016

My membership subscription expired recently and I read the questions and answers very carefully. Now I don't find those questions/answers on the site. It said there would be no difference in directory ranking whether somebody chooses PRO Plus or standard membership. It also said I would get the same service as I used to have if I choose standard membership. Since I'm a translator with specializations, TM-town is not an option, and since keeping confidentiality is the business between me and the ... See more
My membership subscription expired recently and I read the questions and answers very carefully. Now I don't find those questions/answers on the site. It said there would be no difference in directory ranking whether somebody chooses PRO Plus or standard membership. It also said I would get the same service as I used to have if I choose standard membership. Since I'm a translator with specializations, TM-town is not an option, and since keeping confidentiality is the business between me and the client, I was not really interested in SecurePro either. But now reading that 1) I cannot remove this SecurePro card, 2) showing that the card was hidden looks like as if I was not a trusted translator 3) and realizing that my profile completeness was reduced and that 4) clients will be able to narrow their search for SecurePro card I really feel I have been downgraded. So no I don't get the same service as guaranteed before. Meanwhile a month ago I read those questions and answers carefully to make the decision. Those answers clearly stated that I wouldn't feel any changes if I don't choose the Plus package ... But I feel, I smell... clearly.

[Edited at 2016-12-16 09:45 GMT]
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:06
German to English
+ ...
Well Dec 16, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Hi Maija

After you quoted from my post, I edited it. Nevertheless your observations remain valid and I agree with them. I don't think Henry quite realises that we busy translators do not spend a lot of time checking our Proz profiles, if we ever do.

[Edited at 2016-12-16 09:17 GMT]

Hello Tom,

as the saying goes, great minds think alike:)

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I watched the video Dec 16, 2016

Dear Henry,

I watched the video and 17:53 and 18:56 made me speechless.
You are talking about that translators are encouraged to post their confidentiality practices on SecurePRO card... ?
Confidentiality requires not to talk about such practices in detail publicly! Like: where we work, what we share, what kind of security programs we use, what kind of internet we use etc. Revealing these practices publicly makes us more vulnerable. This information is my business betw
... See more
Dear Henry,

I watched the video and 17:53 and 18:56 made me speechless.
You are talking about that translators are encouraged to post their confidentiality practices on SecurePRO card... ?
Confidentiality requires not to talk about such practices in detail publicly! Like: where we work, what we share, what kind of security programs we use, what kind of internet we use etc. Revealing these practices publicly makes us more vulnerable. This information is my business between my client and me.

Katalin

[Edited at 2016-12-16 11:34 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Is it too late? Dec 16, 2016

Maybe it's too late. We seem to have gone a long way down this road, past the point of no return.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:06
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tom Dec 16, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I have just had to spend time checking/updating my profile.

Completely without my knowledge it had been changed, and my 100% completeness had been reduced to 56%. By adding the new information requested, and unchecking a number of boxes that had been automatically checked, I have brought my profile back up to 100%. I have no idea for how long it was down to 56% and how this may have affected my ranking.

Your profile was not changed. Based on usage up to this point I made the decision to include the new SecurePRO field among the fields that are "encouraged" (but not "required".)

Of course it is acceptable to just indicate that you do not plan to fill in the field -- it will be considered complete in that case.

In future, Henry, please ensure that all Proz members are **individually** informed, by a personal email, of any changes to the way the profile thing works.

As I said, an email will go out after the initial round of adjustments. In the meantime, including the field among the "encouraged" sections is actually a more effective way of calling people's attention to the new field than sending an email.

Since you seem to have entered a phase of innovation, may I suggest a complete makeover of the GUI? Isn't it time to modernise the outdated yellow/green/reddish-brown graphics?

Definitely. We've been doing that, little by little.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nope Dec 16, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Of course it is acceptable to just indicate that you do not plan to fill in the field -- it will be considered complete in that case.

Nope - my profile was already showing as cut right down to something like 55% until I found out about this and made a few adjustments. Now, from what you say, it sounds as if I will need to keep spending time checking back to make sure that nothing else has happened that I didn't know about.

[Edited at 2016-12-16 13:38 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
That is a perfectly acceptable SecurePRO statement Dec 16, 2016

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Confidentiality requires not to talk about such practices in detail publicly! Like: where we work, what we share, what kind of security programs we use, what kind of internet we use etc. Revealing these practices publicly makes us more vulnerable. This information is my business between my client and me.

Thanks for watching the video, Katalin.

If you are so particular about your security practices that you are not willing to comment on them to potential new clients, I suggest that you write that in the SecurePRO field in your profile. In so doing, you will be differentiating yourself on the basis of your particular approach to security.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please don't make insinuations Dec 16, 2016

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

My membership subscription expired recently and I read the questions and answers very carefully. Now I don't find those questions/answers on the site.

You seem to be suggesting that something sneaky was done. That's not how we work. No policy has been changed. A new program was introduced, and it is optional. You don't appear to approve of it, and that's fine, you are welcome to have your say. But there is no need to make insinuations.

Thank you.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
What can be put in the SecurePRO free text section? Dec 16, 2016

Hi all,

We are watching as people submit their SecurePRO statements. Since it is not possible for you all as members to yet see what others have entered, I thought I would share some observations that may help you decide what to put in your own section.

* Generally speaking, the degree of differentiation that can be seen in profiles varies from field to field. In the case of the S
... See more
Hi all,

We are watching as people submit their SecurePRO statements. Since it is not possible for you all as members to yet see what others have entered, I thought I would share some observations that may help you decide what to put in your own section.

* Generally speaking, the degree of differentiation that can be seen in profiles varies from field to field. In the case of the SecurePRO statement, there is a relatively high degree of differentiation.

* Remember that the audience for that field is the prospective new client or collaborator. You should write as though you are addressing that sort of person.

* If security is something that you think about in your own right, you might want your SecurePRO statement to convey that. (Being willing to sign NDAs is great, but you might want to make it clear that you have your own philosophy and standards, too.)

* Some people are detailing particular security practices, others have been able to convey seriousness about security without necessarily being verbose. At least one person referenced a policy, with a link, that they "strictly adhere to".

* The "Security procedures available upon request" field is being used. The majority of users, so far, do not list such services, but 20-30% do. A few mention related fees (ex. "I charge a 15% premium"), others say things along the lines of "I am able to X {ex. use encrypted file transfer}, upon request, and I don't charge anything extra for that."

* Most people are using English to complete that field. At least one person has localized their statement into another language (within the same field).
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I just stated that I didn't find it because I wanted to quote it word by word Dec 16, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

My membership subscription expired recently and I read the questions and answers very carefully. Now I don't find those questions/answers on the site.

You seem to be suggesting that something sneaky was done. That's not how we work. No policy has been changed. A new program was introduced, and it is optional. You don't appear to approve of it, and that's fine, you are welcome to have your say. But there is no need to make insinuations.

Thank you.

Dear Henry,

I didn't make insinuations concerning the questions and answers. I simply stated that I didn't find those questions and answers where I read it before when I made my decision. It was somewhere down on this page: http://www.proz.com/professional-membership

Maybe I just don't find it, maybe it is added on a different page of the site.

I wanted to copy and paste the questions and the answers in this thread that said that if someone doesn't subscribe to the Plus Package it will not influence her/his directory ranking and she/he will still get the same service what she/he used to. I wanted to quote that word by word to be accurate and I couldn't find it.
That's all.

Katalin

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Katalin Dec 16, 2016

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
I didn't make insinuations concerning the questions and answers. I simply stated that I didn't find those questions and answers where I read it before when I made my decision. It was somewhere down on this page: http://www.proz.com/professional-membership

Maybe I just don't find it, maybe it is added on a different page of the site.

I wanted to copy and paste the questions and the answers in this thread that said that if someone doesn't subscribe to the Plus Package it will not influence her/his directory ranking and she/he will still get the same service what she/he used to. I wanted to quote that word by word to be accurate and I couldn't find it.
That's all.

Thank you for clarifying that, Katalin, I appreciate it.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Option will be provided to display "SecurePRO statement" first in the SecurePRO card Dec 16, 2016

Hi all,

Someone on the staff here (Maria) had a good idea, which we will now implement.

Before explaining, let me define a term: I am calling the text entered into the free-form field of the SecurePRO card the "SecurePRO statement".

Here is the idea: We are going to make it possible to show your SecurePRO statement first, by default, in the SecurePRO card.

The effect of this change is that you will be able to make whatever statement you like in
... See more
Hi all,

Someone on the staff here (Maria) had a good idea, which we will now implement.

Before explaining, let me define a term: I am calling the text entered into the free-form field of the SecurePRO card the "SecurePRO statement".

Here is the idea: We are going to make it possible to show your SecurePRO statement first, by default, in the SecurePRO card.

The effect of this change is that you will be able to make whatever statement you like in the SecurePRO card, and that will be what a potential client or collaborator will see first when viewing your SecurePRO card.

I don't expect this change to satisfy those of you who may be unhappy with the very existence of the SecurePRO program. But for everyone else, this is a way to have more control over the impression given to viewers of your SecurePRO card.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Notify Dec 16, 2016

Please notify us when that happens, so that we don't have to keep checking our profiles.

TIA

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plus features: Announcing the SecurePRO™ program

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »