Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
SIMPLE SOLUTION Dec 27, 2012

Wörter zählen (wenn die Excel Funktionsbefehle in Deutsch sind):
=LÄNGE(A1)-LÄNGE(WECHSELN(A1;" ";""))+1

count words (if the Excel function commands are in English):
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1;" ";""))+1

Note: You have to put the formula in the cell A2.
If you want to count the words in another cell, e.g. B19 insert B19 in the formula.
To count down the whole colum, click on the cell with the formula and pull down the cell.
That’s it!
... See more
Wörter zählen (wenn die Excel Funktionsbefehle in Deutsch sind):
=LÄNGE(A1)-LÄNGE(WECHSELN(A1;" ";""))+1

count words (if the Excel function commands are in English):
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1;" ";""))+1

Note: You have to put the formula in the cell A2.
If you want to count the words in another cell, e.g. B19 insert B19 in the formula.
To count down the whole colum, click on the cell with the formula and pull down the cell.
That’s it!

[Edited at 2012-12-27 09:08 GMT]
Collapse

Javier Tomás
Javier Tomás  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:01
Member (2013)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A dead-straight way to count words in Excel Apr 15, 2013

István Hirsch wrote:

If the text is trimmed (only one space between the words), press Ctrl + H (Replace), „replace” space with space, click Replace All and read the number of changes, add one.

This seems to me to be by far the simplest, most elegant way of counting words in Excel, without any copy-pasting, scripting or program-installing. There is one change to be made, though (step 3 below). The process would go on as follows:

1. Select the relevant cells.
2. Replace space by space and notice how many replacements have been made.
3. Add to that number the number of cells involved...

et voilà!

AO0OGA
AO0OGA
United States
Thanks! Lifesaver Sep 7, 2013

Andrew Kozlovsky wrote:

Orchtech wrote:

to count the words of a text in an Excel cell use this equation.

=IF(LEN(TRIM(D2))=0,0,LEN(TRIM(D2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(D2," ",""))+1)

where D2 is the Cell where the text exists

Kind Regards,
Omar Shafik

[Edited at 2008-05-26 12:42]

Thanks!

Omar,

Thank you this worked perfectly.

Ricardo Robina
Ricardo Robina  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:01
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nifty prog Oct 23, 2013

John Jory wrote:

The problem with the wordcount in Word (and the macro provided above) is that numbers as well as characters such as '=' are counted as words.

FineCount is free, and works fine. Especially useful is that it also grabs the words in textboxes in MS Word (which are ignored by the embedded MS Word function).
It also distinguishes between 'Words only' and 'Words + numbers'.

Here's the link: http://www.tilti.com/tilti-com.software.finecount?pc_code=&ver=

Enjoy,

[Edited at 2009-05-27 15:24 GMT]

Nifty prog! Works for lots of formats. I like how it creates invoices and reports as well.

Anna Ebner
Anna Ebner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:01
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you so much!!! May 16, 2014

Ryan,

Thank you so much for the information. I know this post is outdated, but I have a HUGE excel document I am translating with several (dozens) spreadsheets, and the Count Anything program is quick and easy to install, and very easy to use. It's as easy as drag-and-drop!!!

Thanks again,

Anna E.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:31
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Using Trados Jun 13, 2015

Load the excel file into a Trados project and prepare it for translation. The word count will be displayed in the statistics available in the Reports tab, which will also give fuzzy details of the text.

Charlie Delta
Charlie Delta
Norway
An easier way of word count in Excel Jul 14, 2015

GKT wrote:

ninogulli wrote:

Hi,
Does Microsoft Excel have a word-count function? If it does, I don't seem to be able to find it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am not aware of any word-count function in Excel.

However, here is a trick you might want to try when you have to count words (or characters) in an Excel file:

1) Open the file
2) Save it in unicode text format (*.txt).
3) Open it with Word
4) Use the word-count function of word. Et voila!

I hope this helps

GKT

Or you can just copy and paste the text from Excel to Word, one or more columns or rows.

VeroHouston
VeroHouston
United States
Local time: 04:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excel Word Count for Mac May 18, 2017

I know this is an old thread but still relevant. I always copy and paste to Word and do a word count, but this file has 37 tabs!!! When I copied and pasted into Word, it was chaos and it shows many more words than what I think... So, in order to be fair to my client, I wanted to use something else, but cannot come up with any of these options above because they do not work for Mac. Anyone out there discover anything new? Thanks.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
What is Unicode text format? May 9, 2018

People have suggested saving as Unicode text format to count words, but what is this format? Isn't there an easier way without needing all these hi-tech gadgets? The Advanced Properties tab is deactivated and won't start.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 10:01
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Unicode May 9, 2018

... is just the slightly more powerful text format that has to a large extent replaced ASCII.

It's not high-tech, all it means is just saving the file so you only have JUST the text, without any of the formatting, celles, etc. that could mess up a word count.

Personally, I find the quickest way is to copy all the Excel content (Ctrl A, Ctrl C) then paste into a blank Word document, making sure to select 'paste special' from the 'Edit' menu and the select 'paste unformat
... See more
... is just the slightly more powerful text format that has to a large extent replaced ASCII.

It's not high-tech, all it means is just saving the file so you only have JUST the text, without any of the formatting, celles, etc. that could mess up a word count.

Personally, I find the quickest way is to copy all the Excel content (Ctrl A, Ctrl C) then paste into a blank Word document, making sure to select 'paste special' from the 'Edit' menu and the select 'paste unformatted text' — this achieves the same result, but with the advantage that with the text in a Word document, you then have the opetion of either using Word's own wordcount function, or analysing it in your CAT tool or any one of several other utilities.
After use, you can just scrap this document (no need to save it)
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso May 10, 2018

VeroHouston wrote:

I know this is an old thread but still relevant. I always copy and paste to Word and do a word count, but this file has 37 tabs!!! When I copied and pasted into Word, it was chaos and it shows many more words than what I think... So, in order to be fair to my client, I wanted to use something else, but cannot come up with any of these options above because they do not work for Mac. Anyone out there discover anything new? Thanks.

You can use CafeTran Espresso to count the words and even determine the number of repetitions. The free demo will do.

First download and install Java 10: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre10-downloads-4417026.html

Then download and install CafeTran Espresso:
https://www.cafetran.com/#download

After installation, just drag the Excel file onto the CafeTran Dashboard. Click Finish to confirm.

Once the file has been loaded in CafeTran, from the Project menu choose Statistics > Project statistics (the keyboard shortcut is CTRL+E).

Example Excel file with 3 tabs:

Demo counting in CafeTran Espresso 2018:

[Edited at 2018-05-10 16:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in Microsoft Excel?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »