Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 28, 2017

Hello everyone

What should I do with an MS Publisher 2016 file? I do have Publisher 2016 on my computer, but I'd like to use CAT. Can any CAT tools handle this format, or: is there a way to export/import text with Publisher itself?

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2017-01-28 21:04 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So far... Jan 28, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:
What should I do with an MS Publisher 2016 file? I do have Publisher 2016 on my computer...

So far, it would appear that there are two options:

1. Click in each text box or table cell manually, generate an ID number, copy its text to a text file and replace it in Publisher with an ID, and then afterwards, click in each text box or table cell manually, and replace the ID with the corresponding translation. Most formatting will be lost, but at least the right translation will end up in the right text box or table cell.
OR:
2. Extract all text somehow (box by box, or via HTML export, or via PDF export and OCR) and create a two-column file with source text = column 1 and target text = column 2, then translate it. Then, sort the table by the source column's line length. Then use Publisher's ultra primitive Find/Replace function to find each line of source text and replace it with its corresponding target text. A lot of formatting will be retained. Note that Publisher's Find/Replace feature can't find line breaks, so if your PUB file has lots of those, well, erm...
OR:
A combination of #1 and #2.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:30
English to Turkish
+ ...
pub2xml Jan 28, 2017

Hi Samuel,

Perhaps you can try this: https://github.com/Impertatore/pub2xml

Selcuk

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've tried... Jan 28, 2017

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Perhaps you can try this: https://github.com/Impertatore/pub2xml

A compiled version of that is available from SDL Trados' "marketplace" (version 2.1). It gives the following error:

Capture-1

I've also tried Woliński's Pub TextConvert. It gives the following error:

Capture-2

I also tried having a look at the PUB content (it's located in \Quill\QuillSub\CONTENTS when you unzip the PUB file), but it's in a binary format that I would not be able to hack myself.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
One-way ticket Jan 29, 2017

There's a one-way solution here: http://www.zamzar.com/fileformats/pub

Probably of no use to you, I'm afraid.

Another approach (with loss): https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Import_Publisher_to_Scribus

From Scribus to the most suitable export fo
... See more
There's a one-way solution here: http://www.zamzar.com/fileformats/pub

Probably of no use to you, I'm afraid.

Another approach (with loss): https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Import_Publisher_to_Scribus

From Scribus to the most suitable export format.

Via Libre Office: LibreOffice 4.0: the new features: Possibility to import Microsoft Publisher documents

[Edited at 2017-01-29 09:15 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Via PDF Jan 29, 2017

I haven't seen MS Publisher since its early version, I think for Windows 3.1 or 95.
AFAIK it EXports to DOC, but doesn't import back.

My solution, as you have Publisher, would be to print it to PDF, surprisingly a more workable format nowadays.

Many CAT tools can "invade" a PDF file to translate the text therein. AFAIK Trados, MemoQ, WordFast Pro & Anywhere will do it. However no CAT tool will fix the layout issues created by text swelling/shrinking during
... See more
I haven't seen MS Publisher since its early version, I think for Windows 3.1 or 95.
AFAIK it EXports to DOC, but doesn't import back.

My solution, as you have Publisher, would be to print it to PDF, surprisingly a more workable format nowadays.

Many CAT tools can "invade" a PDF file to translate the text therein. AFAIK Trados, MemoQ, WordFast Pro & Anywhere will do it. However no CAT tool will fix the layout issues created by text swelling/shrinking during translation.

After it is translated, you'll need a PDF editor to fix that. There are many, some widely known being Infix and NitroPDF, on top of Adobe Acrobat (full), of course.

Infix offers you another option. It can export the text there within as (tagged) XLIFF, XML, or TXT for you to translate outside the PDF, and then import that back with the proper font specs in each block. It includes all the tools you might need to fix the layout.

Plan B would be using the AVS Document Converter or SolidConverter to transform that PDF into a Word file, and take it from there. Your mileage will vary on how workable that Word file will be for translation. Sometimes you get an unusually large number of text boxes, MS Word's way of making the unwary think that a word processor could be a DTP app.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay, the scripts Jan 29, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:
Option 1. Click in each text box or table cell manually, generate an ID number, copy its text to a text file and replace it in Publisher with an ID, and then afterwards, click in each text box or table cell manually, and replace the ID with the corresponding translation. Most formatting will be lost, but at least the right translation will end up in the right text box or table cell.

So... I've used this method for the PUB file. Fortunately, there was very little inline formatting or distinct paragraph formatting in my file.

These AutoIt scripts ensure that the right translation is in the right text box, but all or most formatting is lost (depending on your file's complexity):

www.leuce.com/autoit/publisher%202016%20scripts.zip

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
pub2xml Jan 30, 2017

This program requires Microsoft Publisher 2013 to be installed on your computer. If you have a different version, it won't work.

I already test some days ago and it works.

This is the info from the readme.md file:

# pub2xml
MS Publisher to XML

About
---
Simple API for exporting and importing content (+ images) from MS Publisher format

Dependences
---
Microsoft Publisher 2013

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Oscar Jan 30, 2017

Oscar Martin wrote:
This program requires Microsoft Publisher 2013 to be installed on your computer. If you have a different version, it won't work.

Yes, that's why it doesn't work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Publisher 2016

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »